An Exercise in Color Perception: Blue or Green?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is looking more saturated on conversion to jpeg for some reason, but the color looks the same. I’m interested in whether people see this bird as a shade of blue or a shade of green. No fair using a color picker and no quibbling.

Specific Feedback

As far as the image itself is concerned, I’m interested in comments on the compositional balance and the background. Some of the holes in the leaf cover were blown out and I just went over them with a light brush of a color I grabbed off the foliage to shift them a little bit off white: Too much? More variation?

Technical Details

Sony A1 FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/320, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6049x4117. Taken February 29th at 9:34 a.m.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This is a fun trick question, as blues and greens run together as teal and aqua etc. However, I do feel like I lean a certain direction on this one. Remember the crayon colors from the 60s and 70s that were simply “green brown” and “brown green”? I remember having the conversation with my brother that green brown is primarily brown (green is an adjective modifying the color brown) and brown green is more green (brown being the modifier with green being the principle color).

In this case, I would say the bird is more blue. I see the body as a kind of aqua (like a swimming pool) and the wings as more green (a blue-green teal color, like a Honda Accord from the 90s). But then the breast is reflecting the green from the leaves and bark, so there is a tish more green at the deepest part of the breast.

Hope that helps, or my monitor needs calibration.
ML

Dennis, I’ll go with a shade of blue or more aqua on the bird body with dark green wings. The detail here is excellent throughout the entire bird… :sunglasses:
Please do not share my color thoughts with our Dept. of Motor Vehicles as I still need my drivers license… :clown_face:

Teal/aqua for sure. Turquoise even which can run the gamut from light blue to dark green and brown. Composition is pleasing with the big perch and the about to lift off pose - lots of energy waiting to explode. I really like the distinction between the wing & tail plumage and the rest of the bird. The black head, red eye and mostly yellow bill are also striking. The bright background is what it is and I think you’ve done enough there. Maybe a little radial mask on the eye to brighten it…?

Hi Dennis, another nice catch of a striking bird. I like how the perch curves through the frame with the bird well positioned on left. I think you have done what you can on the BG. I’d agree that the bird looks teal.

What a striking bird, Dennis. I see the bird as turquoise. Your composition strikes a nice balance, with the bird placed off-center, creating a dynamic flow along the branch. The depth of field choice effectively highlights the subject. However, in diffusing the background, it’s key to maintain the natural feel. Your touch-up on the overexposed leaf holes is subtle and smart. :clap:

see my photo