Annular Solar Eclipse

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’m posting this as a teaser – the next opportunity for one of these comes up October 14. Here’s a map of the centerline, where you will need to be to get the ring. (This one was shot in 2012.) The ring will be a little thinner this next time so I’m hoping I can get close enough to the centerline. (So will quite a few other people.) I’ll be exploring dirt roads…

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 3.44.30 PM

Canvas enlarged and shots composited taken every 15-20 min. Some fast-moving clouds made the choice of some intervals a little uneven. Solar filter and Sol-Searcher.

An excellent resource for this and the total eclipse coming up next April 8 is here:

3 Likes

Hi Diane,
that looks amazing. What a great sun sequence.

I have never photographed a solar eclipse. If one was visible in our region, the sky was covered with clouds. :rofl:

1 Like

Very cool. I like the comp and am now inspired to try this in the near future…Jim

Get a good solar filter. The inexpensive solar films will protect the camera (and your eyesight) but are stiff and a struggle to mount. Wrinkles will degrade the image, and the cheap ones don’t give the best optical quality for more detailed things like sunspots. Thousand Oaks Optical is a reliable source for good filters and they can be sold out before eclipses.

Here’s the filter, my homemade eclipse glasses (the cheap cardboard ones are useless) and how to mount a Sol Searcher – it needs to be reasonably collimated with the lens axis and with my lens – I’ll be using 1000mm for the annular.

The Sol Searcher comes without a base. I could probably do a reasonable job of taping it on the lens backed up against the flange but the adapter gets it above the filter and makes it steadier. I can look up what it is if anyone is interested. It’s designed to mount to a telescope.

Solar filters are also good for sunspots, and we are in a good cycle now. The daily sunspot report is found here:

https://spaceweather.com/

They rotate across left to right in about 5 days or so.

This is really great Diane - you did such a awesome job with this. I really love that you can see detail in the sun(s). :slight_smile:

Thanks, @Tom_Nevesely – there are two small sunspots visible int he first two and the last one. The other details are clouds. That’s why the sequence ends where it does – that and a long drive home from a location just south of Pyramid Lake. There are some decent sunspots today – I may give it a try.