Annular Solar Eclipse October 14 2023

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After a long drive from Olympic Peninsula to Winnemucca Nevada we got up early on the morning of the eclipse and joined a group from the Nevada Astronomical Society to shoot from a highway rest stop. Beautiful surroundings and a forgiving sky. Clouds parted just in time.

Specific Feedback

Any criticism is welcomed

Technical Details

Nikon d500
Sigma 150-600 shot at 600mm with solar filter
f8, 1/500 sec, iso 200
on a tripod without a tracker
composite in PS with the help of my daughter who is a professional in Austin.

2 Likes

Wow! The progression is wonderfully arranged. I like the almost graphical feel of the image.

Thanks Dean. It was fun collaborating with my daughter. She is the artist, I just took the photos. We will do it again next April in Texas.

Excellent!! But where were you from Winnemucca? I was 20 mi north, right on centerline, and had major clouds! It looked like they extended as far as I could see in either direction.

Thank you for commenting. I was hoping that you would. I was about 60 miles northwest of Winnemucca at a rest stop (Leonard Creek rest stop on Hwy 140). The day before, I was scouting for sites and struck up a conversation with a guy who was doing the same thing. He introduced himself as the past president of the astronomical society. Using an app on a tablet, he advised me to go to Leonard Creek. When I arrived, he was there with several other members of his group - most with large telescopes. It was partly cloudy but I was able to shoot 150 images. I was disappointed in my technique. By using such a fast shutter speed all were basically black and white? I was hoping for more texture or some clouds overlaying the eclipse. However, I did get at full sequence and my daughter (who used to teach PS) helped me do the composite. She lives in Dripping Springs Texas so I will have an opportunity to do a better job in April. Any advice you have regarding settings will be appreciated. BTW, several years ago I was on a Norwegian Roads Scholar trip with Alan Dyer, who proved to be a good teacher. I was able to take some decent aurora shots with a Nikon d5600.

Oh man, I blew it!! I had driven on up 140 the day before to scout the two areas where the centerline crossed. I was watching the satellite cloud map on my iPad, and further NW didn’t look any more promising than the spot on 95.

From your images, your technique looks fine to me! The color varies with the different solar filters.

Alan Dyer’s e-book is your best source for the total eclipse. I’ll start a Discussion for everyone’s contributions.

I see Dripping Springs is just W of Austin. If you can get a few miles north you can get on centerline, for more time in totality.

Thanks for the EP!

Hi Dan,

Congrats on the EP.

Thanks, Allen. I was really surprised.