Eclipse peeking through

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I wasn’t able to figure out how to get to a location for the “ring of fire” view of the recent eclipse so I decided to stay local where we had about 75-80 eclipse. San Francisco was completely covered in clouds (go figure) so I headed east to where the forecast was clear skies. Alas, while the skies where mostly clear a bank of clouds decided to move between me and the sun/moon. Nevertheless, there were breaks in the clouds from time to time and I managed to capture this right around totality.

Technical Details

This was my first time photographing the eclipse. I hoping to catch the next one in April 2024, so learning my mistakes and learning from others would be great! Composing was tricky with the clouds mostly concealing the eclipse, as was getting the right exposure. I had a bunch of fails (entirely or mostly black frame) but fortunately figured it out by the time of totality. Using a 16-stop filter, I ended up on ISO 64, f 5.6, and a shutter speed of 1/8. This was a more open f-stop and longer shutter speed than what I had seen in some research, but perhaps it was the clouds that required more light to be let in.

Also, when processing, I had to dual-process as the dynamic range was so big that in the raw file the eclipse was exposed well but the clouds were quite under-exposed. I ended up increasing the exposure of the clouds by three stops. I don’t mind spending time processing, but any thoughts on something I could have done differently to avoid the extreme dynamic range?

Dean, this looks really good to me on the overall final image posted here. As I’ve only witnessed a couple eclipses, no photography efforts, I can only say it appears very natural to me… :+1:
Good luck in making it to a nice location for the April 2024 event… :sunglasses:

Dean,

I really like the starkness of the sun. It really locks the eye to it. The luminance in the clouds is so ethereal it just takes this photo to another level. I think your processing is spot on. In fact, I think without clouds, this whole eclipse would have been much less dramatic.

You got a very interesting image with the clouds, with some nice color. Well done for a first attempt.

Start planning now for the total, and get this e-book: https://www.amazingsky.com/EclipseBook

Get a good solar filter – a ND filter, even 16 stops, doesn’t block UV and IR, which will cause some damage. And get a sun finder. https://www.highpointscientific.com/tele-vue-sol-searcher-solar-finder-ssf-1006?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=616374405&utm_content=30864991830&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4bipBhCyARIsAFsieCxCqzCgqDttn80TenVfxtRkncDlbn_uJt8oYoATkcEKbBmH6eC-86caAqgzEALw_wcB

When I have more time I’ll post how I mount it on my long lens. I should start a discussion for the total eclipse. It will be my third, along with two annulars.

Thank you, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Youssef_Ismail, and @Diane_Miller. Looking forward to the post, @Diane_Miller!

Hi Dean,

First of all, this is a fantastic image of the 2023 annular eclipse!
I love the clouds and the colors in the clouds! The lower right section almost looks like another gaseous terrestrial body (in an abstract way).
I live on the east coast and didn’t want to travel to Louisiana or farther to get a chance at my own images, especially taking the chance on it being too cloudy so I decided to wait for you to post yours :slight_smile:

As for shooting with such an extreme dynamic range in the field, the only thing I can think of would be using exposure bracketing while in the continuous shooting mode but I don’t know what camera you’re using, I can set as much as 3EV + or - on my Sony (I don’t have a telescope or any other astro dedicated equipment), I only have my standard 35mm mirrorless cameras.
For shots like this I’ve used +3EV, 0EV and -3EV in the bracketing mode with decent results but I’m not an expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt so to speak.

I played around with your image in Ps and I’ve included a screenshot showing the layers, feathering and opacity settings so I hope that helps (if you’re interested in what I did to it).
I wanted to see what it might look like with even more dynamic range and to add some definition to the crescent sun and moon outlines.

I didn’t really see the need to go into detail on the process I used unless you’re interested in what I did but I would be happy to explain it if you are.

Again… Gorgeous image, Dean!! :slight_smile:

Thank you, @Merv. When I was processing I initially got to a point fairly close to your rendition but felt it was too much for my own personal taste. But I do like your take on it. I guess I lean toward understatement these days.