. . . and then the clouds came. .

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was also my first eclipse to photograph. With Diane Miller’s encouragement, I delved into various articles and website. The most helpful was “The Solar Eclipses” by Alan Dyer. Great ebook! With much anticipation, practice and searching for the ideal spot here in the Texas hill country, I determined the best place for me was right in my own backyard. I was in the path of totality and, in theory, would get approximately 2.41 minutes. Plenty for a “newbie!”
As the day drew nearer, it was clear from weather forecasts, it was going to be cloudy maybe even some thunderstorms in the area. Great! Not to be dissuaded, I set up. The winds decided to join the party at 10+/- mph. I knew from experience where the Sun was supposed to be, but for the life of me I could not find it. At any rate, I continued on. I used a very large oak tree to focus on, aimed and fired away. Every now and then the clouds would break and a got a few shots.
These are couple photos I was satisfied with, all things considered. I did not get any shots of totality, nor after as the clouds completely blocked the sky. :cry:

Specific Feedback

I did minimum processing. The first image is a single image and the second is a composite of two images. Both processing in ACR for highlights/shadows, added a bit of texture to the sun slice. Did some burning/dodging in PS. Also cropped and added canvas to the bottom of each photo as the eclipse ended lower in my frame than I had expected.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate. Especially as to the darkness/lightness of each photo.

Technical Details

Z6, tripod, used interval timer for bracketing (3frames @ 2stops)
first image is 2 shot composite; f/9, 1/4000 sec., iso 100, -2ev
second image is a single shot; f/9, 1/4000 sec., iso 100, -2ev

Lots of lessons learned, great experience to take going forward.

2 Likes

Linda, this is a wonderful scene with the clouds doing their thing. It may not be as planned, but the moody look works very well IMO… :+1:

1 Like

These look good to me, Linda. Personally, I like this more than a clear sky image. There’s not much you can do to make a clear sky eclipse look different from everyone else’s.

1 Like

Those are both excellent!! Your settings look fine. You have leeway to adjust both exposures if desired but I don’t see any need to – both have wonderful drama! Congratulations on your first eclipse!!

That’s the thing with photography – you get what you get. The clouds add a lot of interest and you can be proud of getting the sun in the frame – that’s actually the hardest part!

And as @Dennis_Plank said – these are your unique shots – similar to my experience with the cloudy annular eclipse last year. The clouds were thick enough that the solar filter came off for some of the exposures, as you did here.

1 Like

It was an amazing experience without a doubt. Even without being able to see the total eclipse, I did experience total darkness along with some of the “thermal waves” (I believe that is what they are called) it was an incredible sight! I will savor this event always. Especially since I am not sure how active I will be in 2044/2045🤣

Thank you, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Dennis_Plank and @Diane_Miller for your very kind words and thoughts.

1 Like

I agree with what others have said about working with the conditions you were presented with results in unique look. Mysterious is my reaction. I think I may have been somewhat near you, in Meadowlakes right next to Marble Falls, TX. We had clouds that periodically broke throughout C1 to about 10 minutes before C2, then completely clouds, and then, miraculously, a few breaks during totality. I’ll have more to say in my post.

1 Like

Yes,Dean, Marble Falls is only about an hour from us. We drive through it quite a lot on our travels here and there. It is always amazing to me how different the weather throughout Texas can be.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. Looking forward to seeing how the eclipse played out in your neck of the woods.

Linda, I prefer the second shot, which is really atmospheric with the darkness. I also like that the sun is more off-center. Congratulations on getting a more individual look at the sight which often looks the same to everyone. (And you had a great Texan eclipse at Augusta yesterday in the golf-apologies for going off-topic!)

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words, Mike. At some point during the event I was just trying to make lemonade out of lemons! …… and yes, on a side note, we did watch Scottie Scheffler win the masters. Fun stuff.

1 Like

I am both honored and humbled, @Diane_Miller. Thank you for the EP.

You’re welcome, Linda! I’d love to honor everyone who managed to get a picture, but you made the best lemonade! And I know how hard it is to even get the sun in the frame, much less as it is just appearing from dark clouds.

Diane Miller

1 Like