Bare Eclipse

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This morning I went out to photograph the eclipse. I had originally planned on getting into the totality zone, but the nearest location was several hours away and the Astropheric app indicated that it would be overcast there so I decided not to make the trip, but stay local. It was overcast locally as well at the start of the eclipse. Then just before maximum eclipse, I had about 10 minutes of cloud parting, just enough to see the eclipsed sun but still filtered by the clouds that I could look at and photograph without a solar filter on the lens. This allowed the true colors to be captured rather than the typical orange tint the solar filters impart. The most fascinating thing I found was the blue color that haloed the sun while further away the clouds reflected a warmer tone. Even stranger is that during this time I could physically see purple tint around the sun with my eyes.

Specific Feedback

Aside from just sharing what I captured, my request is to find out which of the two photos is more appealing compositionally.

Technical Details

Nikon D850, Nikon 400mm f/5.6 MF lens, both photographed at f5.6 1/1000 sec at ISO 100. Processed in ACR and PSCC.

2 Likes

Great images, both of them. Perhaps I’m showing my age but I immediately get the feeling that one should watch out for werewolves standing in this image. Suspense, intrigue, foreboding. Really brings out some strong feelings. Well done.

Wonderful images with amazing color! I love the hint of the clouds/fog over the sun in the second one. And the tree (a redwood?) gives it some earthly grounding. I didn’t see any hint of the colors as you got here, but I have seen blue around the moon when I have shot a full moon through fog or thin clouds. I’d love to know what is causing it.

There is definitely a mood and story here that would not exist in a perfectly clear sky. Well done!

Those colors are quite striking. Where I was (east of Fremont, California), I had a more muted version of the color display. Initially I was pulled a bit more to the top image that has roughly triangular sections with the yellows and blues and the dark corners. But now I’m appreciating the bottom image with the upper/lower separation of the colors and dark sections. Very nice!