Another Dunlin

This Wednesday our local camera club had a field trip to the same location David and I visited a couple of weeks ago. Two days earlier, e-bird had reported 800 Red Knots at the site. When we got there, we did see some, but they were too distant for anything useful and soon went away. Photographically, I had to settle for a group of 4 Western Sandpipers and a single Dunlin working their way down the beach. By just lying still they Sandpipers came to almost minimum focal distance, while the Dunlin stayed for enough out for this image to be a pretty sizable crop.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I didn’t do much to this image other than a slight straightening and the crop. Just a few minor adjustments to the Dunlin to enhance feather texture and increase brightness relative to the background. If you notice anything, please comment.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held lying on the beach, f/8, 1/1600, iso 640, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 8.3 MP. Taken May 15th at 9:55 am. It was partly cloudy, so I kept shifting shutter speed to compensate. The sun was behind a cloud for this image.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This works for me Dennis. I like the wave directly under the Dunlin. I think you did a good job with depth of field and point of view. It is centered and maybe a small amount off the bottom would move it into the rule of thirds composition. Just a thought…

A good look at this Dunlin, Dennis. I like the composition as posted and your Post Processing work is excellent here-nice image.

Love it as presented, Dennis. The wave lines make for some depth in the image, which I like. Cheers, Hans