Dunlin

Yet another from the recent excursion for shorebirds. Makes me wish I had more time this time of year. A week would be just about right.

This was a bit further away than I would have liked, but very few birds of this or any other species were actually foraging in the water. This individual seemed to like it. I’ll post a few other images of it actually foraging when I get a chance.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I tried a little blur to soften the specular highlights in the background. Was it sufficient to keep them from being a major distraction or should I rework it?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/2500, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 9.5 MP.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Love the sharp details and placement in the frame. The raised foot is a bonus The larger wave in the back adds to the action. Maybe it’s just me but the small wave coinciding with the tail is a bit of a distraction.

Good pose you caught the Dunlin in. I think the Dunlin stands out sufficiently from the background that the highlights you mention are not a distraction. I know what you mean, I was down on the Oregon coast last week and would have liked to spend more time as its fairly random when the flocks come through and “Oh, yesterday there were thousands of birds on the beach.”-from a friend who lives on the coast.

Excellent detail color, light, and action. Looks good to me is a large crop.

Dennis, the specular highlights are not a problem for me at all. I think partially it is because their sizes are similar to the eye of the dunlin and they blend in very well. The image tech looks very good, processed very well and the details are very pleasing to see. The raised foot is a bonus.