Another World

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was an extremely foggy morning and the landscape was surreal with all the dead trees and branches sticking out of the estuary at high tide. I felt like I was Frodo going through the marshes on the way to Mordor.

I did a little cropping to balance the image and added a little contrast in post processing.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome. I have been exploring creating abstracts.

Technical Details

Camera Sony A9. Handheld
EXIF Data
Make: SONY
Model: ILCE-9
Software: Capture One 23 Windows
Date Taken: 2023-03-12 08:44:02
Exposure Time: 1/1600 sec
F Number: f/7.1
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 3200
Exposure Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Multi-segment
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No flash,compulsory
Focal Length: 437 mm
35mm Equivalent: 437 mm
Lens Model: Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)

3 Likes

I like this. One could explore different levels of contrast, but as is is good.

Thank you. Do people tend to post a second image with the suggestions implemented?

Hi Rosalind. I’m so glad you decided to join NPN. Your insights on my images have always been so perceptive.

I like this image a lot, but I do think less definition of the dead trees would be even more effective (depending on the mood you’re trying to create). I forget what software you’re using in what order, but pulling the dehaze slider to the left might be interesting. And yes, people do post revised images all the time. The easiest way to do it is to click on the pencil icon at the bottom of your original post which puts you back in the edit mode. It’s usually best if you put the revised image at the top (just stick your cursor there and click the yellow upload arrow in the toolbar). Also when we do change an image we will usually edit the title to something like “…and repost” so people know to look again.

Again, welcome to our community. I think you’ll enjoy it a lot.

Very nice! I do like to subject. I am a sucker for a good reflection. I would like to see this as a vertical image with more of the reflection in the water. I agree with Ronald Murphy that more contrast could help (or dehaze as Dennis mentioned.) I would have tried a long exposure to smooth out the water, but that’s more of a personal preference. Overall though, I like this.

Welcome to NPN, Rosalind! I think you will enjoy the images and discussions here.

I think this is a lovely subject with many possibilities. I like the magic of fog but wonder, in this case, if just a slightly stronger black point would be good, or a little brighter on the whites? It would be interesting if there is more of the reflection, too, but you have an strong and interesting image as presented.

I look forward to seeing more of your work and hearing your take on other posts!

Hi Rosalind, welcome to the NPN community! Fog and trees make for a great combination. In your case, you found some awesome shapes and lines from the dead trees along with a reflection. As others have mentioned, it would be fun to experiment with different edits and levels of contrast. A high key look (soft contrast and increased exposure) would give the image a different mood for example.

A suggestion if you wanted to push this further into abstraction would be to flip the image and cropping off parts of the trees. This helps to engage the viewer and adds a bit more mystery. Form and lines are emphasized. Thanks for sharing your image and hope you share more of your work soon.

Thank you for your comments Dennis.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am going to implement the suggestions and repost.

Hi Rosalind and welcome to NPN. This has a lovely mood as is, and it is the kind of image that you can play around with to make any mood you want. I’m with Alfredo on a crop off the top. If you didn’t show the tops of the trees, the image would be more abstract.