Ants Eye View of Spring

Normally I prefer to do spring photography on overcast or rainy days, the soft light does a nice job of accentuating the delicate colors of the spring trees. But in May 2021 during the peak of spring color, we had a stretch of about 20 straight sunny days with few clouds. This was very unusual. Normally rainy days in May are not hard to find, but not this year.

So I decided to work with what I had, and went for this ants eye view of the spring trees. I wish there was more separation of the trees at the center, but at least the beech leaves were a nice spring yellow/green.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MK4, Canon 16-35mm f4 lens at 16 mm, ISO 400, 1/60 sec at f11

1 Like

Well done. A refreshingly different point of view, and taking advantage of the light given.

I worked for a non-profit land trust. I had many hats with one being the photographer to document newly purchased properties. The PR director handled all press releases, the magazine, an more. He insisted we shoot of sunny days. Puffy clouds were a plus. It called for careful exposure since it was color film, but no soft gray days for him. He would tell me nobody wants to see a dull day.

I love taking these kind of shots and sometimes forget. Glad you didn’t. Overall I think it’s a good composition although I think the trees at 12 and 10 o’clock could use a little more separation. What can you do though? Blue skies call for extreme measures.

1 Like

Blue has its place! I love the patches of darker foliage against the gorgeously lighted leaves.

Don’t know if you’re into infrared but it works well in sunlight.

Love this, Ed! I’m always looking up at the trees like this! I love photography like this! Really beautiful image!

@paul_g_wiegman @Kris_Smith @Diane_Miller @Vanessa_Hill

Thanks to you all for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts on my image.

Yes Kris, blue skies do call for extreme measures, and I was getting “antsy” (no pun intended) to shoot anything during this long spell of blue bird sky days. The image is a bit of cliche approach, but it was better than not shooting at all !!!

Diane, I have never dabbled in infrared, but I have seem some very interesting images from that genre. It might be something worth researching for something fun to do.

Ed really like the wide perspective…almost a reverse drone shot. The color palette against the blue sky really makes this pop. The coalescence of the center trees works well tme.