Approaching Dark Butte

Small here is my brother and sister-in-law in their canoe approaching Dark Butte as we paddled the Upper Missouri Breaks last fall. Dark Butte is one of the many volcanic intrusions into the flat layers of sandstone and limestone (the white sections) that are scattered throughout the Breaks. Some sunshine would have been nice, but the overcast lets the details in the land show well plus there was a quite, brooding feeling traveling this long stretch of river that has only seen minimal changes in the last several hundred years.

5D3, 100-400 IS II @ 200mm, 1/250s, f/10, handheld from our canoe

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The blank sky is well suited to the gritty feel of the landscape, Mark, and the two figures in the boat stand out nicely in the fg. I only wonder whether a touch more contrast in the hills would be good, but like it as is.

Good choice for this week’s challenge. It’s interesting how some landscapes are improved with humans in them.

Nice choice for the challenge, Mark. The addition of the people creates a peaceful mood in this scene. The large version is particularly nice as it has much more presence!

Great entry Mark. The canoer’s offer great scale reference and context. Despite the gray, blank sky, I think the overcast worked much better for this capture then having and direct light - as you note. Nicely captured.

Lon