Are you looking at me?

Not sure what type Sparrow this is ( Id would help)? Like I said before photographing these song birds is hard work. They keep jumping in and out of the shrubs and take off anytime some-one comes up the path. The Sparrow was shot at the Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge on Oct 19, at 8:47 AM. The sun was a real problem here, creating deep shadows and hot spots.
Thank you for coming by.
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, canon 100-500mm, f7.1, 500mm, 1/2000, -1.7EV, ISO 2000. The shot is cropped by 64% and I used a number of control points to both lower the hot spots and bring up the shadow on the Sparrow.

Nice head turn and the head and eye looks sharp. I’m surprised at f7.1 the wing feathers don’t look a bit sharper. I can see the sun was an issue, but you did a good job capturing the bird. I ran the shot through Merlin and the first hit was song sparrow.

I’m with Allen on this one. I think the issue with the sharpness has to do with the higher ISO and crop ratio. Song sparrows are quite small so I am also a little surprised that the tail feathers aren’t in better focus. But you do have a nice background and the in focus perch works.

Hi Allen & David
Thank you for the comments. I went back to the sd-card in the R5 to see were Canon set focus and didn’t find a focus point. So I must have set the focus and then take my finger of the back-button focus to get a better look at the Sparrow. Small bird vs single point square. It looks like the focus point is the leaf to the left of the Sparrow. My R5 is set up for Egret, Heron and Osprey in fight. lesson learned, change the setting for the birds you’r shooting now. This is the raw photo I started with.
Peter

A nice job on the processing and the crop, Peter. Nice head turn and rear view and showing some good markings on feather groupings of the sparrow. I have similar issues with the small focus points in m older Nikon.