Arethusa Falls - NH White Mountains

![Arethusa Falls - White Mountains 10-21.jpg](https://images.naturephotographers.network/original/3X/2/1/212caaa8c8b195434372e26ef329de5a8

62a21a3.jpeg)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Up at 4:30 for the two-hour drive north to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I arrived at this site just a few minutes past sunrise. The soft light felt appropriate for the gentle waterfalls in the scene. The fall colors in the back of the scene felt as if added depth to draw the viewers eye through the frame.

Technical Details

Canon R5+RF15-35@15 mm -1.6 s, ƒ/16 (three shot focus stack), ISO 100

Hi Joel, welcome!!

Just a quick question, did you mean to post this in the ProPhoto RGB colorspace? Some browser don’t handle that well, and that can make an image look really different. My browser doesn’t show that colorspace well, and your image looks much better if I download it and open it in Photoshop.

You might consider converting the image to sRGB and reposting; that should give consistency for those who choose to comment. (You don’t have to start a new thread, you can just edit your original post.)

Good work Joel.

I like the water flow, leaves on the rocks etc. I wonder if you could improve on this with a square crop that gets rid of the tree to the right?

John:

Rookie Error. This image has been saved in the sRGB color profile. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

1 Like

Mark:

I have taken your suggestion and re-cropped the image as a square eliminating the trees on the right. I purposely included some of the rock on the right as I believe it adds value to the image. I see the advantages of this crop. Do you think it improves the image despite loosing some of the detail on the left?

2 Likes

A lovely scene!! I find the fallen tree too distracting, but for my taste you cropped too much ere. I’d just crop the minimum to remove the tree. May be successful to remove most of it and clone out some remaining top part and any of the small branches that intrude.

Welcome to NPN! I hope you will find it a great place to hang out and share images and ideas!

Great feedback. I did a quick crop to see how the image is improved. Your input is greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Yes – that’s it!! You can edit your original post and add it there above the first one, to position it to show in the thumbnail.

Thank you!!!