As the light is good

Just along the footpath . What light can do with a simple spot,

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

This looks like it is straight out of a fairy tale, Ben. The light here is exquisite!. I love the interplay of light and darkness in this woodland scene as it adds such a wonderful air of mystery to the image. Really well done IMO.

Lovely light, and wonderful textures. You might experiment with cropping a bit off the left side. You did very well with tonality here. A nice, placid scene.
–P

The light here is gorgeous. It is not easy to pull off shooting dappled light in a forest, but you have succeeded admirably here. I also like that diagonal line of light leading from the ULC down to the spotlit areas on the right. I can see where @Preston_Birdwell is coming from about a crop from the left, that’s a subjective thing. But I would go too far and crop away too much of that diagonal line.
I also like the yellow/greens here is is a very soothing color pallette. Overall I find this to be a very expressive image.

One minor nit, there is a small branch along the bottom frame edge, about 1/3 of the way from the left, that I would crop away.

I agree with that comparison. There is also a sense of the German forest here with all of its mystery.

I would not crop any of the left because that dark negative space creates a balance to the light on the right. Also, the darkness is an essential part of the mood here so removing it hinders that aspect of the image as well.

There’s a mood of mystery that is instantly recognizable for me here Ben. I’m enjoying the contrast of the scene.

Ben, this is really good work and capturing this light is very difficult in the forest. I really appreciate and often enjoy this type of forest lighting and I have rarely been this successful. This is inspiring me to try again.
Thanks for sharing.

This is Rembrandtesque, Ben - all I need to say I think !

1 Like

@Ed_Lowe, @Ian_Wolfenden, @Preston_Birdwell, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, @Alan_Kreyger, @Nathan_Klein, Thank you all for these beautiful comments and suggestions .