Asian Elephant

Asian elephant feeding on the hanging tree roots.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 6D2; 24-105 mm; ISO 640; 1/125 sec. at F 5.6

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jagdeep, this is an interesting image. Makes me wonder if, aside from being a food source, it could also be a form of recreation. Looks like with all that tangle of roots there’s plenty of browse in that location from which to choose.

Very interesting behavior, Jagdeep. I imagine the fine root hairs are very tender and nutritious. Do they eat the whole things ore just strip off the outer layers?

It’s for the first time I saw elephant eating the roots. It finished the whole thing from one side.

Jagdeep: good capture of an unusual behavior. What is most appealing about this photo is the greenery. I am most used to seeing photos of African elephants, most of which are taken during the dry season when the fauna is brown. Richard