Asian Fawnlily

Erythronium japonicum grows wild in the hills in Korea in March-April. It likes damp conditions, and this one was on a steep slope.

Specific Feedback Requested

I couldn’t use a tripod owing to the very difficult location; I took a few shots anyway hand-held and stacked them. I’d like it to be sharper, but I wanted to have some record of this uncommon wild flower’s beautiful markings.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 + 105 micro lens, 1/800 f16 ISO400. 5 shots stacked in Affinity Photo. Flower selected in PS, adjusted for Shadows, Highlights and Brightness. Sharpening and NR in Neat Image.

1 Like

Beautiful color flower, Mike. Clearly I’ve never seen one, so thanks for sharing it with us.

1 Like

Beautiful. I like that you let the petals go out of the frame. It makes me wonder what else is in the area. It emphasizes the central core of the flower.

Also, leaving the space below is especially pleasing.

Finally, the stigma is in focus, as are the stamens. I suppose that’s the function of stacking. It is so important to get the stigma, style, and stamens sharp, just like getting the eye on an animal sharp. It’s interesting to see how many genera found in eastern North America are also found on the Korean Peninsula and Japanese Archipelago.

Composition is amazing. My image of this flower used to be pretty and fragile but this shot is very strong and dramatic. Very nicely done!

Extreme closeup works well and the detail in the flower is exceptional. Well done.