Tiger Lily

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Lilium lancifolium or the tiger lily is often seen in Korea growing wild, like this one. A little friend insisted on posing for me on it (safely returned to his mates). Luckily there was no wind today!

Specific Feedback

Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

D7100 + 105mm

1: 1/4000 f5 ISO 800 2: 1/250 f16 ISO2200 + flash
3: 1/200 f13 ISO 2000 4: 1/200 f18 ISO 800

2 Likes

Wonderful!! It took me a minute to find the Ladybug on the second and fourth ones! Nice camouflage!

Oh no fair, you got a model, too!

One of the best things about a photo community like NPN is to see species variation and similarity across the globe. Some lily families evolve and adapt in nearly identical ways and I have to assume there is a common ancestor somewhere close to all of them. Tall stems, curved back petals, color, spots and blossom orientation - so similar as to be nearly identical. Quite amazing and so specialized for where they are and what they have to contend with. I love it and thanks for showing this one.

The light in the first is really special as is the pose of your guest. The second and third have a more pronounced cool cast and aren’t as appealing to me although the detail is pretty excellent. The little protruding bits on the flower petals are so interesting - I assume they have something to do with pollination. No doubt that’s what our friend is hunting for - pollinators. What a terrific position it took for #3. #4 shows the petals curved so much more than in the species we have here. Great variation in your chosen shots. Thanks for sharing!

I’ve tried to grow Tiger Lilies a couple of times, without success. This is a great set of views, Mike. I especially like #3 showing the whole flower, some of the stem and the matching bug. The blueish tones in the background add a cool feeling. The yellow/green background in #1 makes for a fine summer day feeling.

1 Like

Great series of this Tiger Lily and the matching model, Mike! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you’re not asking for us to pick a favorite because I may have difficulty doing that. :slight_smile:

I really like how hearty the filaments and anthers look, and the curls in the petals are very appealing, it’s quite a specimen.
I don’t recall seeing any around here with those nodules coming out of the petals, maybe I just wasn’t being very observant. :thinking:

I really like this series!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver.I have a couple growing in separate confined sections of a pot - they seem to like very hot summer conditions, but overwinter without difficulty.(Of course they’re native to this part of the world which is maybe more important).

Thanks @Merv - butterflies feed from these nodules; maybe I’ll catch one doing so!

Hi Mike, I love the little ladybug! Its polka dots almost match the fourth flower’s. Cute! You handled the DOF well. I wish that Flower #2 had the pistles (or whatever they’re called — I never remember!) in their entirety in view, but I know how hard it can be to capture any creature when it’s moving. Nice job!

1 Like

Absolutely amazing Mike!
Beautiful colors, clarity , comppositions and that lady bug is the icing !!

1 Like