Forest Lilies? (I think it’s a lily) & repost

I went to the Forest a couple days ago, I hadn’t been for over a month and couldn’t believe how much it had changed! There were so many different flowers everywhere! And these and other really neat deep rain forest looking kind of flowers! And of course ferns everywhere!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
98mm
1/320
f/6.3
ISO 800
Did slight adjustments in exposure, put the slider all the way up for shadows , slight sharpen, and did 11x 8 crop

apani.hill

It is a lily. Turk’s cap lily (Lilium superbum). You are fortunate to come across this plant, and recorded it nicely. The foreground flower and bud in focus with the background lliy out of focus makes an iinteresting setting.

I wonder a little about pulling the shadow slider “all the way up”. That may have made the background, which is nicely blurred, too light. Try moving it the other direction.

A tighter crop highlighting the flowers might help. Give it a try.

Your exposure is great.

Namaste

1 Like

A very nice capture with the BG nicely OOF. I love having the second flower just slightly OOF, and having the bud there. Next time you might try changing your angle slightly (not always possible though) so a BG feature like the small group of leaves doesn’t fall directly behind the flower. But in this case maybe it was intentional, as the stamens might have blended into the darkish BG too much.

I think you’re in Oregon? If so, this would be the Leopard Lily, Lilium pardalinum, which is native to the coastal redwood forests.

1 Like

Vanessa: I agree with Diane regarding the ID and pretty much ditto her comments. I found some of these in Olympic NP a number of years ago and loved shooting them. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

1 Like

Lovely photo Vanessa. I esp like how you have isolated the flower and have a lovely bg. If you look at a crop you might try to take out the little intruding leaf llc.
It certainly looks like a lily.

1 Like

Thanks you, so much, everyone @paul_g_wiegman @Diane_Miller @Bill_Fach @David_Leroy for looking and suggestions! Yes, I’m in Oregon so I guess from what you all are saying it’s a lily! I’m from the East, NY State and have lived in a lot of the NE States and they have tiger lilies everywhere and these reminded me of them but not quite! I guess they’re distant cousins?! So here is a little adjustment and crop combined with everyone’s thoughts, put the shadows back down to 0 and tighter crop per @paul_g_wiegman and took out the leaf per @David_Leroy. And also did want the ferns in the background, but I do have other images which I’ll post later with a dark background as suggested by @Diane_Miller . So does this look better?…

2 Likes

We’re getting the similar Lilium lancifolium (tiger lily) in flower in Korea now. The repost looks better to my eye - it’s smashing in fact!

2 Likes

Wow! So these are everywhere! Thanks for your compliment @Mike_Friel!

1 Like

I like the repost very much. I almost expect to see a hummingbird feeding in it. I grow a similar lily, and it’s a favorite of the hummers.

1 Like

Oh wow! That would’ve been perfect @terryb if a hummer had come there! Not sure if they like it in a dark forest or not, I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard any there before.

1 Like

I’ve also had many butterflies nectaring on mine. They don’t look to me as though they would have much nectar in them, but they always attract the critters!

1 Like

I guess just enough for a little snack! :slight_smile: @terryb

1 Like

I stand corrected. @Vanessa_Hill @Bill_Fach @Diane_Miller I was thinking Vanessa was in the east. Plus, I always thought that the petals of L. pardalinum the black dots were on a background of yellow. Well, there goes one more foolish notion. ;>).

1 Like

@paul_g_wiegman it must be my accent! Haha!

1 Like

The rework is an improvement for sure. As Diane pointed out, a tiny adjustment in position would have put all the stamens in front of the leaf to help them stand out. It takes patience though and sometimes the insects drive me so crazy in the woods that I can’t think or spend a lot of time trying things out as I would when they aren’t around. Stupid bugs.

There is a similar lily in NH called a Canada that I caught only one time -

And another in Western Wisconsin called the Michigan Lily -

This kind of individual adaptation and speciation just knocks me out. Sorry for adding pics to your thread, if you want me to remove them I will.

1 Like

Not a problem, it’s neat to see the different varieties. And my apologies @Diane_Miller! I didn’t know what you meant by the leaves in the bg but after @Kris_Smith talked about it again I now realize you meant the ones that were in focus and a part of the flowers! Duh! I was focusing so much on focusing and positioning of the flowers and the bud that I didn’t notice that, but I do have other shots…

1 Like

@paul_g_wiegman is correct about the yellow – here’s a 10-year-old image of one from one of the redwood forests in Northern CA. The processing looks clumsy but you can see the colors.

1 Like

Umm… OK, now I’m totally confused! So the flowers I took pictures of are the Turks Lilies that @paul_g_wiegman identified or the leopard lilies as you @Diane_Miller said that are in the NW which is where this is taken?

They are as Diane and Bill noted, Lilium pardalinum (leopard lily). The lily I suggested is strictly an eastern US species and grows in wetlands and along streams.

1 Like

OK! Thanks for the clarification! And so quick! Now I can sleep easy! :slight_smile:

1 Like