Another Forest Lily

So this was from my same trip to the forest from last week. These look like the same but by themselves.

Specific Feedback Requested

Do you I like the dark and bit of fern in the background? I was deliberately trying to get the background fern like that, just as a hint of environment. Anything else…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
300mm
1/640
f/6.3
ISO 800
5x4 crop and minor light adjustments

apani.hill
1 Like

I think this is your best one (so far)! The lily is well presented with good detail and focus. And I think there is a hint of the yellow in the back petal on the left. I’m uncertain about the fern – the color is lovely but it competes with the flower. I wonder about burning down just the greens to make it of secondary importance – but greens are mostly yellow so you might need to mask the flower. But I tried going to t he HSL panel in LR and lowered the saturation and luminance of the green slider.

1 Like

I understand @Diane_Miller what you mean about the background fern competing with the flower. So you just lowered the green. It looks a lot softer. I think I was taken by both the flower and the fern and wanted to get both! I think I tried getting the orange part in the darker bg but I can’t remember why it wasn’t working. Maybe next year! Thanks for liking it and trying to make it better! About color do you think that this might be a different type of lily from the other ones? These were on stalks by themselves and the others were in groups…?

I don’t know about any possible difference by the stalk structure. Do a search on Lilium pardalinum and you’ll see a lot of pictures for comparison. The only ones I’ve shot I was trying to get a single flower but from the uncropped raw files they were growing with several flower stems branching from one plant. I’ll post one.

1 Like

A really nice capture, Vanessa. Detail, focus, and vivid color are all there. I agree Diane’s update is a slight improvement, but yours is beautiful as presented.

1 Like

Thanks @terryb I’m glad you like it! :slight_smile:

Haha! You’re not kidding about a lot of pictures for comparison! Now I really don’t know what it is except that it’s a lily and it’s orange! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

One of your best shots so far, Vanessa! Great that you found a single blossom to focus on and it’s so perfect and fresh. The green does compete a bit, but I like it and wouldn’t have darkened it quite as much as Diane has, but that’s totally subjective. In terms of technical qualities - you nailed the focus and composition. The one petal curving in front of the darker background is quite striking. The spider silk is a bonus. Well done!

Beautiful! Isolated to highlight the flower, intriguing angle of view with a full petal and the stamens and pistal and the bloom “looking away from the camera”, and placement on the left side of the frame with room rest the eye for a second or two.

I’m bouncing back and forth between the two interpretations and find Diane’s adjustments very agreeable.

Namaste

Thank you @paul_g_wiegman @Diane_Miller @terryb @Kris_Smith for looking and your feedback! Glad you all seem to like it! :slight_smile:

I know that I diverge into the taxonomic morass on occasion, and I sincerely hope that the Moderator won’t reprimand me severely. If so, I apologize in advance.

After searching, I believe the are Lilium pardalinum Kellogg (leopard lily) as @Diane_Miller correctly ID’ed. I checked all the Lilium species found in the Northwest and it appears to be the only possibility. However, there are sub-species and this could be any of them.

Below is an interesting discussion of the species.

Vanessa I love the original as it is. The green curve on the black background crossing in diagonal the whole image makes the photo strong and dinamic. Everything is good.
We call this flower a Martagon Lily.

2 Likes

Vanessa: I agree with the others that this is your best lily shot of the bunch. I like the halo effect of the BG ferns in the original. Toning it down a bit would be OK but it works great for me as is. Kudos to you for really working this subject. >=))>

2 Likes

Thanks @Giuseppe_Guadagno and @Bill_Fach for your feedback. I can see with all the comments that atleast the technical is out of the way and the rest is just a matter of individual, artistic taste. Which I think is neat to get feedback on! Thank you!