Another Japanese Lily + RP

A revision as suggested by comments below. I like the simpler BG but I love it when I can work one of these “highlights” into a composition.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from yesterday, just stepped out of the shower! Focus stack in mercifully calm air and gorgeous dappled light. They usually hang down but several in this cluster were on long drooping stems and raising their faces to the sun.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 7.43.41 AM

Shadows brought up a little in LR. Zerene Stacker for about 15 frames. Into PS for very minor low-opacity cloning on the BG. Cropped from the sides for composition, full frame vertically.

1 Like

Gorgeous, Diane! I do see one anther that got missed in the focus stack poking between the bases of a couple of stamens. The way it’s located, it can easily be removed with no one the wiser. The bright green spot in the upper right could stand to be reduced just slightly as it’s a bit of an eye magnet now. Other than those minor nits, this looks perfect to me.

Just gorgeous, Diane! Those little droplets are icing on the cake for sure. I like that the lily is coming in from the lower corner. I agree with @Dennis_Plank about that one bright spot. I think the others add to the BG, but that one wants to draw the eye a bit. What a great find and capture.

What great colours! I actually like seeing the sixth anther, as for a minute I was worried that one was missing. I also love the bokeh, the green complementing that great upward-facing lily flower. No cause for complaint here, Diane.

A beautiful shot! We have something like this blooming.

I think the background is a little too intrusive but I’m not sure it’s a matter of brightness. This is what I got when I reduced the saturation of the yellows in the background a bit .

Whether that’s better or worse is a matter of taste.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @Shirley_Freeman, @Mike_Friel and @Don_Peters! The OOF anther is now repaired and the BG simplified a bit. I love having soft circular highlights in the BG – I think of them as spotlights. But that may just be one of my peculiarities. I have simplified the BG so the spotlight is softer and other bust details less prominent – posted above. Does that work for anyone?

2 Likes

I’m glad you found the frame with that anther in focus, Diane. Much better than just removing it. The background works very well for me now. I don’t mind circular highlights in the background if they’re sufficiently subdued. When the contrast is too high, they do draw my eye.

Diane, I like what you did. I too like the circular highlights in the BG, it was just that one that seemed a bit brighter and calling attention. What @Dennis_Plank said.