After a late summer shower

A rebalance of saturation:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Yesterday I poked around Sonoma Botanical Garden and got a few I liked but I went back today to find two subjects I wanted to do better. So of course I wandered around what must be a mile of trails and couldn’t find them. But I did come across a huge clump of Japanese Lilies just as the morning fog lifted that were somewhat sheltered from the breeze. It is a huge clump 6 feet tall and at least 5 feet wide, and there must have been 100 blooms. I did stacks and after deleting the least best of similars I had 17 shots.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 8.28.05 PM

Tweaked Shadows and Highlights in LR. Exported to Zerene (I didn’t note how many) for DMap. Back to PS for very minor retouching.

2 Likes

I love the angle, Diane, and the depth of field works well for this image. The bright green spot seems a little more intense than suits the rest of the image and tries to pull my eye past the lily. Sounds like a great garden.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank – it is a unique and underappreciated treasure – the passion of one woman that had succeeded her! The flower was backlighted and I never seem to be able to bring that out that way it looks. A tweak above.

Dennis’s suggestion I totally agree with, and now the balance between flower and BG spots is much improved. The way you’ve caught the curves of the petal ribs is really original and makes this shot for me.