Raspberry Sorbet

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

AKA Lilium speciosum. Shot yesterday – they are just starting to bloom at Sonoma Botanical Garden. And Murphy is arranging that I can’t manage to get down there when it is foggy and/or not breezy. This was a focus stack but the movement caused a lot of artifacts. Mostly cleaned up but not perfect.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 12.38.07 PM

Shadow and Highlight sliders in LR. To Zerene for stacking and into PS to clean up artifacts from a little movement with the breeze. Slight crop.

1 Like

Gorgeous composition, Diane. If there are stacking artifacts in there, I haven’t found them. The detail in the plant are exquisite.

@Dennis_Plank is right on with his comments. Additionally, I love the background and the wonderful colors.(Nice title, too.) Initially, I was a bit reticent about the edge where the leaf is located, but realized it needs to be grounded. Gorgeous.

Oh wow, this is so unusual - a pink lily of this type. I like what you’ve done with it - the colors are snappy and the composition quite pleasing. Stacking artifacts? What stacking artifacts? Nice job with making those disappear. For a subject this lovely, it’s worth it.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @Jim_Gavin and @Kris_Smith! This species is native to Japan and isn’t a hybrid. They are all this same color with no variation except fading with age. Same for the two orange varieties I posted earlier. The garden is devoted to a collection of Asian native plants in a 25-acre preserve, many rare and some endangered. It is kept as a natural habitat with no formal gardens or beds. There is a variety of hiking trails, some just traces through the vegetation. (Easy to get lost!) Lilies are scattered throughout, but many are not in a good setting to photograph, with messy BGs. This one is my favorite, with the tree off to the right side, and directly behind is a slope down to a pond with light on the vegetation on the far side. There is a tree trunk on the left necessitating the tight crop of the stem. I’ve shot it in past years and you’ll see more efforts to honor its beauty. Going back tomorrow – with fog and low wind forecast! I’ll try harder to get the trunk out of the scene. Not easy to place the tripod (or my feet) due to several small bushes.

Gorgeous colors in both the flower and that wonderful OOF BG, Diane. You nailed the focus as the flower is tack sharp. FWIW I am no PS wizard, but I did not notice any artifacts from the focus stack. This is a beauty, no suggestions from me.