Orange sorbet

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Aka Lilium henryi. From my last foray at Sonoma Botanical Gardens, two days ago. A group of these is flowering in a tight setting in wonderful dappled light and I can’t resist them, but getting a clean shot is difficult. They are up an overgrown slope from the trail so a telephoto is needed, and that’s the only way to get in between other branches so it works out well.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 11.20.11 AM

Minor tonal tweaks in LR, mostly pulling down Highlights. Then a stack (luckily no breeze) and some BG low-opacity cloning. A little messing with Selective Color and Tonal Contrast on the flower.

2 Likes

Outstanding! (or should I say “Outhanging”) image, Diane! :smiley:

And I commend you for the sharpness from 1/40s SS at 254mm! Well done even if you used a tripod!!

The highlights in the BG around the central portion really sets the filaments and anthers off well!

It’s simplicity is highly impactful and you caught it in a great stage of it’s life!

Selective Color is a great and a favorite tool for me.

The composition and detail in the flower are outstanding, Diane. I love the slight hint of repeated orange in the background.

Another beautiful lily - I particularly like the colour, so pale, contrasting well with those red markings. It’s also great how the stem seems to flow down to the long green style below.

You are just going from strength to strength with your lily photos. Superb and I think it’s my favorite for its simplicity and the way the flower seems to flow along its trajectory.

Diane: The long lens served you well here. Marvelous simple comp and capture of a beautiful subject. Top notch work. >=))>

Thanks, @Merv, @Dennis_Plank, @Mike_Friel, @Kris_Smith and @Bill_Fach! I’ve come to love this little clump of only a few plants, cradled almost hidden under and behind other growth. It’s a sort of magic location, at least to me. It’s near the late lamented lotus pond, which is also tiny and hidden in its own little grotto.

It takes contortions with a long lens, from a ditch below, to get clean shots. Next time I’m taking a long stick with a hook on the end. And an assistant… These flowers last quite a while and there are still buds waiting for me. And THEN the speciosum will be flowering – I’m drooling over the possibilities there.

2 Likes