Another Lily + RP

With the stem darker and a bit of punch on the flower:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another one from the botanical garden. Fog/clouds were just clearing and there was some dappled light through the trees on this patch of lilies, but a light breeze was just starting. I held my breath long enough to get a good stack.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-09-14 at 1.21.15 PM

Shadows and Highlights in LR. Into Zerene for a stack. Into PS for denoise and some cleanup. Cropped from the sides.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Beautiful job on the flower, Diane. I find the abrupt transition from the completely in focus flower to the completely out of focus stem a bit disconcerting, though the leaves are close enough that they don’t bother me.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank! I hadn’t noticed it but when I did it became one of those can’t-unsee things. Does it work for you darker? I also gave the flower a bit more punch, which I was thinking about when I posted it.

The second version is really stunning. Looks as if lit from within. The color changes in the petals is really something. The forms on lilies like these make me think of (benevolent?) creatures from the deep. Undulating and locomoting in ways we can’t even imagine being terrestrial. Liquid, lively and life affirming. Why am I unable to stop it with the alliteration? :laughing: :roll_eyes:

Wow, great color and detail on the lily Diane. Second version is a nice adjustment.

Gorgeous image; the new edit is an improvement, with the brighter flower and darker stem. The OOF leaves don’t concern me at all with this kind of exquisite flower detail…

Very nice job on the repost, Diane. I wouldn’t have thought of just darkening the stem, but it did the trick.

Thanks, @Kris_Smith, @Ed_Williams, @SandyR-B and @Dennis_Plank! If I can get another cloudy day I’ll head back down there again, but they may be about done by now, along with most of the other things I always go for. The pond is sadly overgrown with some sort of water weed and the water lilies aren’t even worth looking at.