autumn leaves

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I collected leaves from my back yard and arranged them on a table

Specific Feedback

I made the photo handheld, if I had used a tripod I may have been able to achieve greater depth of field.

Technical Details

Pentax K70
Pentax fa 100mm f/2.8 macro
ISO 400 1/125 second at f/4

I like the array, Timothy, but as you implied in your self-critique, more depth of field would really improve this image. I tend to do this kind of shot in the fall, but I’ll usually put the array in a tray on the floor and shoot down at it with the camera on a tripod. Then I can use as long an exposure as I need to get the depth of field. Another option would be to do a focus stack which can be done hand held (though not as precisely as with a tripod).

I really like the way you arranged the colors in this and the fact that you didn’t select pristine leaves.

Thank you Dennis, I am going to take this photo again today, using a tripod and soft box. I still have the leaves I used in the original.

I gathered a few additional leaves and arranged them on the floor in my patio, I lit them with a godox tt560ii flash in a godox 24"x24" soft box 12 inches to the left and a 24" round reflector 12 inches to the right. camera is Pentax K70 with Pentax fa 100mm f/2.8 macro at f/11 1/160 second tripod mounted.