Backlit woodland

Hi everyone. I thought I’d have a change, I’ve been in a slump for a few weeks now so changed tactic and tried shooting woodland for a bit.

This was taken in the Lake District national park and was shot from various angles and compositions. Horizontal being my favourite.

As always, I welcome any feedback. Looking at the image now I think the white mark on the root needs removing as it’s a distraction.

Many thanks in advance.
Chris

Chris,

This works really well. And even though it’s pretty much a 50/50 composition, the forward reaching translucent leaves give this almost a 3D look which I think helps tie this all together.

The brightly lit area up top is slightly distracting, but then again it represents the source of all the beautiful back lighting throughout the scene.

You handled the dynamic range pretty well with good detail and proper exposure in the root system. I’m not sure which white mark you thinking about. Is it the larger patch that looks like lichen more towards the center? Or to the right which looks like an overturned dried leaf? I might clone that out and maybe darken the lichen slightly, but that one doesn’t bother me much at all.

I like this!

Lon

1 Like

Chris I love your creative approach to this image. It’s not often that you see a forest scene from a low and wide perspective, it makes for a very dynamic image. It’s like having an ants eye view of the forest. And the back light on the fresh green leaves is marvelous. Really interesting take on a forest scene.

I would offer a few suggestions for improvement. I would clone away the stick on the ground in the LRC. I would crop some from the right, to eliminate the thin tree trunk near the frame edge. While the sky is bright, the only place it really bothers me is the large patch of white to the right of the main tree trunk. I tried to minimize this by trying some Content Aware Fill magic, and it did a pretty decent job. Here is a rework that reflects all of these suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I’ve cloned out the distraction on the branch but I kinda like the bright spot. It SHOULD irritate me… But it doesn’t :joy: