Bad Fish Eggs or Dissing the Photographer?

The Pink Salmon were in and spawning. They were dying all over the beaches when the tide goes out & strands them. There are so many available that the black bears wander down the beach smelling the carcasses and when they detect one with eggs they would puncture it, squish it and suck up the eggs. They generally weren’t bothering to eat the fish. A clear preference for caviar! I caught this young black bear doing its thing on a gloomy day with heavy rain. It was sopping wet but it didn’t seem to bother it. Bad conditions for photographs but I got a few decent ones. I thought this one caught its cute side :wink:

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is always appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, SEL200600G @ 600 mm. (900 mm w/crop factor), ISO-1600, f/6.3, 1/1250, handheld.

1 Like

Cool pose and pink tongue adds some color to it.
It somehow lacks the sharpness you usually get with your gear. May be focus is somewhere in foreground or could be due to hand holding the camera.

Thanks, Jagdeep. I think what makes it look unsharp is that the bear is sopping wet from pouring rain. Its hair is all matted so you don’t get all the individual hair detail that you would get on dry fur. The low light and resulting high ISO required some noise reduction also.

1 Like