Bad Water Salt Flats

This was taken early morning on the salt flats in the Bad Water area of Death Valley. The patterns created in the salt were interesting as were the very rugged mountains to the west. I liked the simplicity and coolness of the scene. As an infrequent landscape shooter, any feedback is appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

Any pertinent technical details: Nikon Z7, 24-70 at 24mm, f/16, 1/4 and ISO 200 on tripod.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Richard,

I absolutely love the rich pastels you’ve captured and presented with this scene. Classic and excellent near/far composition. Not sure what you could do here, but I’m kinda wishing the patterns in the flats were a little more defined. Not sure how to explain as they display nicely in the larger view.At the same time the lack of any directional lighting means there’s no shadows to help define the patterns any better. I guess I’m being pretty picky… This really is an excellent image from the salt flats.

Lon

Richard, I really am enjoying this scene of the salt flats. I just visited DV for the first time a few weeks ago and the images I have from the flats are very different in that the polygon shapes were much more defined. I mention this because your scene is a pleasant change to my eye and the subtlety of the shapes and your handling of the light and colors is very nice IMO. Well done!

A splendid scene, with beautiful pastel colors and very good composition. I like it very much.

A very nice take on the salt flats. The colors are excellent and the image has a very tranquil mood. To my eye, it could use the slightest CCW rotation, but then I am a bit unbalanced myself. Nice work.

1 Like

Thanks to Lon, Alan, Antonello and Harley for your comments. They are appreciated. Richard

Love these pastels. I agree with Harley on a slight ccw rotation being needed. Even without more sidelight, I really enjoy the foreground.
ML

Richard,

You made a fine image. Gorgeous color. I responded to Lon’s comments by putting an s curve on the foreground and it brought out the detail in the salt flat. You may want to play with that technique to see how you like the results.

Don