Badass (or not Badass Enough?) Badlands

Still from my first Death Valley trip and indulging in a passion that we just don’t get enough good night weather (or darkness in Summer) for in Scotland / UK… This was my first night (of 3) for astro whist I was there.

All and any technical and/or artistic feedback welcome

Canon 5Dmiv, Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II USM. Blended Image - Sky 20" ISO 6400 and Foreground 320" ISO 800 - both f2.8 @ 16m

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I feel your pain, clear skies are rare in the PNW, too.

The processing on your sky is really nice, especially for a single image… Nice glow in the left, as well.

Have you tried stopping down in aperture and shooting a long exposure for the foreground?

All in all, this is an amazing shot, @vikki!

1 Like

Vikki,

Terrific night sky and Milky Way image and capture. It’s amazing what we can capture these days with the new technologies, including such great noise reduction.

Not too much in the way of foreground features you could have included (no trees in the DV!) Looks like this was from the Zabriskie point area? Anyway, foreground is handled well enough, but really it’s the glow on the horizon and the starry night sky that are “stars” of the show (I’ll be here all week…) :wink:

Lon

1 Like

I really like this Vikki. I have experimented a little with Astro photography, but none of my results have been share-worthy. This is quite nice. I can see the value of a few more seconds on the foreground to get more detail, but this looks really natural. I’m generally not a huge fan of the well-lit f/g with night sky, so this one strikes a really nice balance for my tastes.

It’s badass enough for me.
ML

1 Like

Lovely Vikki. I agree with Marylynne’s point, to the point that I would recommend darkening the foreground even more (but keeping contrast).

1 Like