Badwater Sunset

Image Description

It was hard not to be overwhelmed by the photo opportunities

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any competition value and any other comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 16-35mm f/4 at 16 mm, 1/15 sec, f/18, ISO 200

Hi Don,

It’s a classic location for a reason - there’s so much to do and so many options!

The key to finding what works in locations like this is all about composition and finding edges and shapes that lead to each other. You’ve got two diagonals leading inform the bottom which is good but they aren’t pointing at anything as a ‘feature’. It’s not a bad foreground though and I love the crusty transitions between ‘pans’. It’s worth spending a long time trying to find the perfect shapes. Have a look at a few variations online to see what you like about them.

In terms of processing, the foreground looks fine but I think the sky has probably been darkened a bit too much and I can see an obvious halo around the horizon. Did you perhaps use the dehaze option in Lightroom (or clarity) these can be quite brutal in how they deal with edges.

It’s a great place to work on composition though so keep at it…