Simple Sunset Botany Bay, Vancouver Island, B.C.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A simple sunset image on Vancouver Island.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts or suggestions?

Technical Details

I shot this at 31mm, f/20, 6.0 seconds, ISO 64. Basic edits in LR and PS.

2 Likes

It’s an excellent shot, Steven. I like the composition and your treatment of the color. f/64 isn’t an aperture we see much these days.

Two related thoughts that aren’t criticisms. I’d consider leaving a little more space between the treetops and the top edge of the image, if only so that you could mat the image without cutting into the treetops.

At the bottom, in the sand, there are a lot of what appear to be footprints. I suspect that was unavoidable but you could reduce their prominence by cropping a little below the lowest rock in the image.

It’s a terrific image with or without changes.

So much to like here Steven. That’s a charming sea stack and a lovely star. I like the way the water meanders through the scene too.

The deep shadows and blacks take up a lot of real estate, and I wonder how an image with more detail in those areas would compare. I realize they obscure the footprints and person in front of you, but they also hide interest in the sea stack and distant shore.

Thank you for the comments Don. I appreciate your input and suggestions.

Thank you for the comments John.

1 Like