Sunset at Carmel-by-the-Sea

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a photo of a sunset at Carmel Beach (Carmel-by-the-Sea, California). I was trying to frame the setting sun (which moves quickly) in between the branches of the tree.

Specific Feedback

I am not sure if the tree is too dark, or this works as a silouette. I did lighten it a bit in post but ultimately went with this version for now.

Technical Details

Nikon Z 6 and Nikon Z 24mm-120mm lens

SS 1/2500
f16
ISO 400

I really like this image! Very nice framing of the sun! I love the silhouette, but the upper branches feel a bit top-heavy. I was trying to figure out how to crop of that heaviness without the sun ending up centered in the image - maybe a panorama crop? Or an original ratio crop that removes the upper heaviness and most of the two branches on the right? I played with the crop a bit using the Triangle, Golden Ratio and Golden Spiral options on the crop tool in PS, and the sun actually doesn’t end up being a bullseye. I’d be inclined to remove the two branches at the right and clone out a few twigs that make me think of stray hairs, especially the one just above the sun. Nice concept and follow through.

Thanks Denise! Your feedback is very helpful!

Hi Richard,
My thoughts on this wonderful image pretty much echo what @Denise_Dethlefsen already mentioned. I hope you do not mind, but here is a repost with what I was thinking. Just a suggestion of course.

Thank you Ed!

Richard,

Beautiful sunset thru the Monterey Cypress. Great job framing this - and it works given that it doesn’t look like anything dramatic is happening with clouds our anything. I think you nailed the color/saturation.

Agree with the others with some minor adjustments/cleanup. Which falls right in to my personal outlook on my own images - “making them the best they can be.” So I agree a slight crop since all that space up top is not necessary and some combo crop or healing to get rid of the branches on the right. Of course we all have a levels of “purity,” YMMV.

BTW, I love the light glistening off the surf on the left - which for me means the right side could be cropped some to address the branches on the right.

A couple tweaks and this will be a wall hanger!

Lon