Sunset at Carmel Beach

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a photo I took of a sunset at Carmel Beach, Carmel, California. I was looking to take something different than just the sun setting into the ocean so I took this photo , hoping to catch the sunlight reflecting off of the stairs and bit of land adjacent to it.

Technical Details

Photo was taken with the Z6, and the Z 24mm-200mm lens, a good travel lens but not necessarily the fastest lens around. SS was 1/100, f20, ISO 400. Not sure why I used such a small aperture, my guess is I was probably taking photos of the setting sun and, since I did not have a ND filter with me, I was looking to reduce the amount of light shooting straight into the sun. I probably forgot to adjust my settings.

Great image, Richard. I like that the sun is not in this sunset scene. I like the composition and the people on the beach give it a sense of scale. Nice peaceful scene.

1 Like

Richard,
I will have to echo what @David_Bostock already mentioned for this peaceful evening image. My only suggestion would be a little noise reduction as it really shows up in the larger version. Nicely done.

1 Like

Lovely scene Richard. Your goal of catching that light spilling in paid off. This really makes me want to be there, instead of the dreary melting snow and cold rain that we currently have!

A couple of tweaks you might play with include opening the luminosity a tad and warming the color a little (it seems a tad more cyan than I would expect for that time of day). Here’s a crude example:

Thank you all for your feedback and thanks John for working the file. I like what you did here!

1 Like