Peaceful sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love the sunsets in la jolla near San Diego and return every year for my vacation there. This was one of the nicest ones I had last year in a family beach that was very hectic until the sun started to go down. Then I found a way to just get the small family in the right position without all the others. It is a reminder of peaceful fun time.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome. One thing I am never sure of is the post processing and here I didn’t know whether the picture is too dark or the light is balanced.

Technical Details

Sony mirrorless sony a7c, tamaron 17-28 lens, 20mm, iso 50, f/16 1/5 seconds. Did crop the picture, added some vignette and used the tone curve to try to even out the light.

This image tells a nice story. Personally, I feel that the image is too dark. I’m not great a post processing so hesitate to give specific advice. Generally speaking, I would brighten it and lift the shadows some. Then maybe do a radial gradient in the center to emphasize the people and colors reflected in the water. However, perhaps you want to convey that it is almost dark and there isn’t much light left.

Thank you.

Hi Tamar!
I really like the light in this image. Funny, this could just as well be a sunrise. Nice warm & cool colors in contrast. However, I feel the foreground is a little distracting. Perhaps cropping for more focus on the sea and sky? Nice shot.