Peace

A longer exposure at sunset that seems peaceful to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m always scratching my head with scenes like this…“what is the subject”? For me, it was all about capturing the peaceful mood I felt while at the ocean’s edge…smoothing the water and catching the blues and pinks in the sky, clouds, and water.
The foreground rock as well as the background sea stacks add some interest, but I’m still unsure about this minimalist composition.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

25 seconds, f/18, 35mm, ISO 100

2 Likes

This seascape does have a relaxing serene feel to it that I find very inviting, Mark. The colors in both the sky and the water are lovely and your chosen SS only enhances the peaceful mood as it smooths out the water. My only suggestion would have been to include the whole FG rock and not cut it off. The minimalist composition works rather nicely for me.

Mark, this looks very good. It is pleasantly and quietly inviting. The near/far balance works well and I especially like the reflections in the water just to the right of the big rock. While it would be interesting to have a view from slightly to the left to include all of the big rock, I’m not convinced that the result would be better (and we don’t know if there was a problem on that side…). There’s a nice sense here of the big rock pointing to the sea stacks.

What’s not to love about this image, Mark. The placement of the rocks, the soft pastel colors reflections in water and the darker cloud triangular formation all work for very well here. Very nicely seen, captured and executed.

Great colors and love the mood they create. I am of like mind with @Ed_Lowe about the cutoff rock. It seems to keep drawing my attention to it. Not an image killer but noticeable for me.

Nice capture here Mark. I prefer soft pastels to bone crushing reds and oranges and you were able to catch some very soft, muted, pastel colors that are the basis of minimalist landscape images. The shutter speed works really well here crushing the wave action and blending the incoming water with the foreground water. I really like the swoops and swirls and the reflected light in the foreground as well. I like that you didn’t get low enough to intersect the big rock with the horizon. I’m going to assume that to the left of the big rock there was something that would have made an image not work so well but if not, maybe going back to that same scene and reshooting to include all of the rock would enhance this but I really don’t mind the rock being cut off all that much. Definitely not a deal breaker.

Thank you @Ed_Lowe, @Mark_Seaver, @linda_mellor, @Harley_Goldman, and @David_Haynes for all your comments. I’m glad you like the colors, shutter speed, and minimalism. This was taken 2 years ago and I wish I had caught the entire rock. Chalk it up to experience and a learning opportunity!
Luckily I can go back another time and try it again. Thanks again!

1 Like