Blue!

This photo is from the westcoast of Sardinia, taken on a calm day, no waves at the very end of blue hour. So the long exposure made the surface of the water act as a perfect mirror. The thing on the cliff is the rest of a medieval Spanish watchtower.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

The cliff with the tower is a little bit out of DoF. Too far away to work with hyperfocal distance. I considered to do kind of focusstacking with two images, but in the end that didn’t feel right to me. Is it ok the way it is? Any feedback welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single shot, Canon EOS 5D III, EF 17-40mm @40mm, f11, 20 sec, ISO400

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Nice work, Michaela. This has a surrealistic quality to it therefore out of focus could even be to your benefit. Just vague shapes as in a dream.

So much to enjoy from your work. The fort and the rock considering each other’s longevity, the triangle of the rock fort and point of land, the spectrum sunset, and the undulating shoal water shadow in the forground. We need to see much more of your special interest in water … for our souls.

Nice warm color tones and reflection. I think it would be even better cropping off the darker area of water horizontally at the bottom and also, perhaps 10% of the right side of the image, thus moving the rock more towards the right side. I spent two weeks in Sardegna a few years ago. I really enjoyed my stay. This looks like the area north of Alghero.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov, @Dick_Knudson and @David_Schoen for your feedback. I’m often wondering whether I managed to put my emotions at the scene into the picture to share it with the viewer. Your comments told me, this time I did. That makes me happy.

Michaela, this is a lovely, somewhat dreamy look at this spot. The contrast between the warm colors sky colors and blues is great. You’ve got a fine dynamic balance between the two “rock” structures. I also like the subtle view through the water at the bottom. The slight softness of the far cliff and structure adds to the dreamy feeling without it feeling like the focus was off. It’s amazing to get that amount of calmness on a shore like this.

What an awesome minimalist image! The light at this hour is just fantastic, and it is why this is my favorite time to shoot. That gradated sky, the blue water, the foreground rock leading to the island. Yea, this one caught my eye. Very nice work!

Thank you Marc, for your comment!

Thank you Mark! I liked what you said about calmness. The sea on this shore often is that rough, the waves reach out for the watchtower. Then it isn’t calm at all.