Blue hour moon

La Jolla has some great seascapes and they are 5 to 10 minutes away so I can drive over if things look promising. And I usually check a couple of web cams. We are affected by the marine layer / fog 90% of the time these last few years but there are some breaks mainly in the winter.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? This is an image that just doesn’t strike a chord with me even though I took it. I liked the wave movement and the full moon but something just doesn’t click, so I’ve never printed it.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Fuji X-T2 50-140@ 66, iso 200 f22, 2.0 sec. Dawn blue hour. De-mosaiced in Iridient (it is Fuji) and then LR adjustments.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Craig: As an avowed color junkie this appeals to me a lot. Love the water action from the slow SS and I also like that you got some detail in the moon. Beautiful scene superbly rendered. >=))>

Craig,

Blue Hour Indeed! Not quite sure why you’re not that excited about this - this is awesome! The interpretation of blues during this time is of course within the realm of personal choice and preference - this works beautifully for me.

My only minor wish for this one is that the moon be slightly lower in the frame. As much as I like the color gradient of the sky, I’m almost wishing for less sky. But that’s pretty picky. Overall this is pretty darn gorgeous.

Lon

Bill and Lon, thanks for your input on this image. Lon… plan A was a moonset with some light trail across the water but nature had a plan B which was that fog bank out there that ate my moon shortly after this image.

Craig, I think this works very well at capturing the contemplative mood of the full moon setting at sunrise. The exposure of the moon is great, with some fine details showing, there’s just a hint of pink in the cloud layer and there’s some fine, gentle wave action. The glowing blue water looks good also. I really like the sense of peacefully watching, waiting and listening as the moon sets.