Blue Hour Morning on the Pacific

I had a blast playing around with a new lens and camera at Cannon Beach, Oregon a few weeks ago. This image was taken before sunrise, hence the decided blue hour cast on the water. The sky was really this beautiful color.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated. I thought about cropping some of the sky but it feels more balanced this way…same with the bit of beach on the bottom.

Technical Details

150mm, 0.5 sec @ f/20, tripod, panning.

2 Likes

I like this one, David. I haven’t taken any ICMs yet, so I’m not the one to critique this. I like the many different colors of blue streaks going into a sunrise color. I like how the sunrise color almost matches what I would think is sand on the B. It gives this photo more color separation. I think the sky should stay as is. Very nice.

I like how there are slight variations along the bands to add interest to an already fascinating image.It’s also good to see a horizontal ICM, as more often folks are taking vertical ones.

Love the soft colors of the sky and the water, David. The horizontal lines in the water are so perfect, they feel like they are moving. Sounds like it was a great way to start your day! Great shot.

@Donna_Callais, @Mike_Friel, and @linda_mellor thanks for the kind comments. Much appreciated. I did have great fun playing around with the ocean, waves, surf…

Cheers,
David

1 Like

I think that this is wonderful and a real treat to look at. I definitely wouldn’t crop the sky because it feels just right the way it is. And ditto for the very bottom. Nicely done!

Wow! This is a really stunning image, David! I love the colors and the progressive layers from the ocean waves. Love how you made it look so uniform like a painting. Great work!

I’m with Vanessa, and stunning is the only word I can use to describe this image of yours David. The symmetry of lines, textures, and colours, along and across the bands and into the sky is just wonderful (I wonder how many shots it took to get this :thinking:). As with Donna, I haven’t really tried ICM, but I can imagine how difficult it would be achieve such symmetry.

This creates such calm and peace when looking at it that I can imagine it as a very large print on my wall. Just lovely. Cheers.

David, the lines and color gradients in your image are wonderful! I don’t have anything that needs correcting. Looks great to my eyes.

@Tom_Nevesely, @Vanessa_Hill, @Phil_G , and @Alfredo_Mora, thank you for the kind comments. Much appreciated.

The technique for this wasn’t too hard really. Set up your tripod so that it’s level when panning, in order to keep the horizon as a single line. Then I used a slow shutter speed, .5 sec, a cable release. I started panning then hit the cable release and kept panning through the exposure. Yes, it took many attempts to get one or two satisfactory images, but it’s fun. And people walking by were wondering what this crazy photographer was photographing…one even asked if I was tracking whales or seals… :slightly_smiling_face: I told them I was just shooting blurry pictures of the waves.

Thanks for sharing your technique David! I think I will try this when I get the opportunity and the conditions are suitable.

1 Like