Blue Hour + repost

The cloud cover was still pretty heavy toward sunset, but I was hoping for a small break along the horizon to light up the underneath of them with some fiery red color. Unfortunately that did not happen, but the blues were quite lovely after sunset and there was no way I was going to pass up the drama in the sky. I took several exposures tripping the shutter when the waves started to drag backwards. This was the best one. I liked the way the clouds and the flowing water seem to mimic one another as they fanned out across the frame.

As always thanks for taking a moment and leaving your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome. What do you think about the blues along the horizon?They were pretty intense so I left them as they were.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 25mm, f 16 @2.5sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod

4 Likes

I love the composition! The receding waves mirror the clouds wonderfully and the ss gave a very interesting pattern to the breaking wave. The blue looks great to me, but you probably have a lot of leeway with colors here.

1 Like

Ed, I will second @Diane_Miller 's comments.

1 Like

Looks great. Love the tunneling look of the water and sky. Processing looks good to me, too

1 Like

Hi Ed! I like this. The cool tones, the dramatic sky, and the receding wave make a very nice affect. I especially like the look of the receding water on the sand as the patterns shown there somewhat mirror the shape of the clouds. Nice work!

1 Like

This is really nice, Ed. Well done on the comp, the timing, the shutter speed, and the processing. Awesome.

1 Like

Many thanks @Diane_Miller, @Michael_Lowe, @Harley_Goldman, @Steve_Kennedy and @David_Bostock for taking a moment to leave your thoughts as they are always appreciated. So glad everyone enjoyed the image. It was a very nice evening and I had the beach all to myself.

Oh wow, beach to yourself is awesome!

1 Like

What a terrific reminder of the value of looking at a picture for a long time. 20 minutes now and counting … the convergence in the center, the frilly small surf, the fantasy of lines in the sand … the hits keep on coming.
Just wondering if the light blue in ulc were darkened a bit, would it draw they eye a tad less.

You HAD the beach to youself, now we are all there

1 Like

So glad you enjoyed the image @Dick_Knudson. Here is a repost with the sky darkened a little in the ULC.

@David_Bostock : Yes I know; that doesn’t happen very often. I guess everyone stayed away because it was so cloudy. :smiley:

1 Like

@Ed_Lowe I had several difficulties with this image, the first being an overall bluish color cast and a bit of a lackluster sky/cloud treatment. I’ve left my treatments at the side of my edit. I think my primary issue is that it doesn’t come across as a Blue Hour, more so a blue color cast. It is, after all, just another person’s POV and no to be taken as gospel.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to do a rework with your suggestions @Chris_Calohan, always appreciated. You mentioned the image does not look like it was taken during blue hour so to be sure I went back and double checked my Photo Pills app. The file was created on 6/2/20 @ 8:50:08 and sunset was @ 8:19 on that particular day. According to Photo Pills blue hour lasted from 8:38-8:50. Again I appreciate you taking the time to do a rework, but for me the removal of the blue tones in the scene destroys the blue hour mood IMO.

@Ed_Lowe I always associate the “Blue Hour” as a deeply rich sky color that can last as short as 15 minute or as long as one hour and falls between the nautical and civil twilight. Thus to me, it is a sky color and not a cloud color, and thus my remark that it comes across to me more as a color cast. You say potatoes, I say potahtoes.

@Chris_Calohan I guess we can agree to disagree.

1 Like

This one’s a joy Ed. It is a mix of simplicity and complexity that I find very pleasing. Well done.

1 Like

Beautiful image Ed, that was the first thing that struck me was how the water and clouds are flowing out to the horizon. It gives a feeling of being drawn into the scene. I could imagine it really feeling that way if this were blown up huge on a wall! Nice capture!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words @John_Williams and @Vanessa_Hill. Glad you both enjoyed the image as much as I did.

Hey Ed, a little for the show but I do love this image. Please stay with the blue cast. I appreciated Chris’s rework only because it so clearly demonstrated why the blue cast is essential to the power of the image. I like your rework, punching up the clouds a bit but it is the simplicity and horizontality of this image that gives it its strength. This is an image I could look at over and over - very meditative. Have I mentioned the photographer Ned Pratt to you. This image is somewhat reminiscent of his work - see his wonderful book, “One Wave”.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts @Kerry_Gordon; always appreciated. I am going to stay with the blue tones as they just look right for the moment. I will be sure to check his work out.