76 Seconds In Time

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A quiet morning before sunrise along the beach at Herring Point in Cape Henlopen SP, DE. I decided to go with a long exposure to smooth out the clouds and water trying for a calm and serene vibe. I liked the combination of warm and cool tones both in the sky and the waters of the Atlantic Ocean as I find it soothing to get up before sunrise before the hustle and bustle of a new day begins.

Specific Feedback

All C&C is welcome and appreciated. I am curious if you prefer one version over another as I waffle back and forth as to which one I like better.

Technical Details

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 32 mm, f 18 @ 76 sec, ISO 400, three stop ND filter, cable release and tripod.

2 Likes

Hi Ed,
what a beautiful and peaceful scene. I love the long exposure because it simplifies the image. The color contrast is really great, with nice warm and cool tones.

I prefer the tighter crop. In my opinion, the foreground does not add too much to the image in the original version.

What bothers me a little bit is the difference in brightness and contrast in the sky. The left part is very soft and bright, and the right part is quite contrasty and dark.

I hope you don’t mind that I downloaded your image. I added some mid-tone contrast to the sky and used dodge and burning to even out the difference in brightness. And I used a selective color adjustment to get rid of the cyan in the blues.

Your picture makes me want to go on vacation. I would love to spend a few days on this beach enjoying the tranquility. Well done!

1 Like

I don’t mind at all @Jens_Ober. Thanks so much for taking the time to do a rework ; much appreciated. I really like the way you have evened out the sky on the left side of the frame. I will have to give that a go.