Herring Point Sunrise

Taken this week on a little two day camping trip with my wife to Cape Henlopen SP in DE. It was so hot the first day that we just stayed in the camper. The weather forecast for the second day sounding promising with 40% cloud cover; thanks @Michael_Lowe; so I set the alarm to get up early and head down to the beach before sunrise. I wound up shooting several frames from this spot trying to catch some nice water movement around the rocks and the pilings. I liked this one the best.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 32mm, f 16 @2.5 sec, ISO 100, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

This came out really great Ed. Those gentle colors with that long shutter speed gives a marvelous feeling. I really don’t have any suggestions. When I click on the image a larger one does not appear. Any idea why?

Thanks so much for your thoughts @Igor_Doncov and @Ben_van_der_Sande; glad you guys liked the image.
@Igor_Doncov: I do not know why a larger version did not load. I will try again with this reply.

Ed, this is really nice. The composition works very well, with a strong left to right diagonal flow, and a pleasing arrangement of rocks in sort of a circular pattern. your shutter speed did nice things with the water here too. The pastel colors in the sky are great, but that pink light on the water in the URC is absolutely gorgeous !!!

My only suggestion would be about the relative luminosity of the top vs. the bottom half of the image. The top looks wonderful. In the bottom, I like having the rocks and pilings dark, although I suspect you’ll get some comments asking to see more detail. But I could see adding some gentle dodging of the lighter tones in the water in the bottom half. The highlights in the bottom half water look slightly too dark relative to the water highlights in the URC. I would try to aim for a little better luminosity balance in that regard. I’d do a rework to illustrate, but I too can’t see it bigger to download it.

I just saw your re-post of the large image, after I finished my post. Here is a rework reflecting my comments

1 Like

Ed, I should love to give a comment, I think my knowledge about these top- images is to small. I should give a comment that is not relevant. But I like to read the comments of others and learn.

This did come out nice! Dawn and ocean shots are made for each other. The low light leads to long exposures, and ocean waves crashing over stationary objects always looks great. Good idea to head out before sunrise. Nice work.

I live about 75 mi south of here and your photo is begging me to go for a ride before the sun comes up and see this same place/ same time/ same conditions. It’s simply beautiful.

1 Like

Great sunrise/ocean image, Ed. That slow shutter speed really captures that soft wave movement and balances the great sky color. The softer sky colors and darker rocks from @Ed_McGuirk rework looks spot on.

Ed I’m a fan of this image. It’s hard to go wrong with a vivd sunrise on the coast. The magenta to blue transition looks great.

I also like the foreground and the mixture of rocks and the old structure. This is a personal nit but I would desaturate the blues int he highlights in the foreground so those rocks really pop.

1 Like

This turned out great, Ed. Of all the versions, I prefer it as originally presented. This really works for me, front to back. Great shutter speed to present the water leading to an inviting sky.

Great shot, Ed. Perfect SS and the color palette is ti die for. I love how the pilings lead the eye to the best part of the sky and also love the reflected sky colors in the water. I would clone out that one spot in the cloud opening in the ULC. I don’t think it’s a dust spot but it gives the appearance of one.

Many thanks for your thoughts everyone @Ed_McGuirk, @Marc_McCann, @donnaclarke, @Stephen_Stanton, @Nathan_Klein, @Harley_Goldman and @Michael_Lowe; always appreciated. I am glad everyone enjoyed the image as much as I did. It was a great way to start the day.

@Ed_McGuirk and @Nathan_Klein: Thanks for taking the time to do a rework. The changes are subtle, but I like them both.
@donnaclarke: I live about 2 hrs north of Cape Henlopen SP. It is a wonderful state park and I try to visit it a couple of times a year. Best of luck if you make the trip.

The water motion is wonderful Ed. I like Ed’s luminosity suggestion.

Like everybody else, I am taken by the colors and the water movement effect you achieved. The leading line works fine. You might try color dodge the nearby water to continue the sky impact to the bottom. Maybe the top of the rocks could reflect a little sky color also. I could do with a shave off the bottom and left but I prefer the original crop to the more vertical options.

Thanks so much for your thoughts @Eva_McDermott and @Dick_Knudson; always appreciated.

@Dick_Knudson: I have another; which I might post next to see which people prefer; that has a bit more warm color from the sky reflected in the water.

Outstanding scene. Like the long exposure effect on the water. Print this large!