Pastel Sunrise

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

When I got up I did not have high hopes of capturing a sunrise, but since I was already up I decided to follow through and head down to the beach at Cape Henlopen SP, DE. When I arrived I had the beach to myself, which is always a plus. With the sun climbing up through the fog it produced these lovely pastel blues and pinks that bathed the scene in these lovely muted colors producing this surreal mood. It is a morning that I will cherish and never forget. I hope that comes through in the image. I would love to catch these conditions again, but so far no luck.

Specific Feedback

All C&C is welcomed and appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon D700, Nikon 17-35 @ 32 mm, f 18 @ 1.6 sec, ISO 200, cable release And tripod.

1 Like

What a delightful image. The soft, subtle complementary colors are very peaceful. The scene is quiet, but the diagonal line of the surf and the movement of the water receding give it a dynamic feel at the same time. Nice juxtaposition. The only suggestion I can think of might be to brighten it just a tad, to make it a little less greyish.

1 Like

Oh Ed, this is just beautiful. Yes, having the beach to yourself is a plus. I am sure you will remember that morning for sure. The soft waves and the nice pastel colors makes this a winner in my book.

1 Like

Dreamy mood indeed, Ed. Beautiful soft pastels with just the right amount of OOF to enhance the scene. Very nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Drop-dead gorgeous!! The gentle angle of the washing waves, the soft sweeping lines of the FG and some diagonals in the sky – and then I discover the sun! Perfect!

1 Like

Thank you everyone @Chris_Baird, @Shirley_Freeman, @linda_mellor and @Diane_Miller for your kind words. It was a special morning on the beach for sure as the light and colors were gorgeous.

@Chris_Baird : Thanks for the suggestion Chris; I will play around with that and see what happens.

2 Likes

Great work, Ed. The fact that different parts flow and merge into one another is part of the ‘secret sauce’ that make this so tranquil.

I just noticed the sun. An added bonus but I don’t think it’s that consequential.