Cape Henlopen Sunrise

I did not have high hopes for a sunrise image due to the fog and almost did not bother going down to the beach. I am glad I resisted the urge to sleep in as I came away with a few images from that particular morning that are very satisfying.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look and leave a comment or suggestion.

Nikon D 700, Nikon 17-35 @ 32 mm, f 18 @ 1.6 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

3 Likes

This is really nice, Ed. It has a fine dreamy mood, beautifully subdued colors and a painterly look. I am kind of on the fence about the sun. Since it is so small, I think I find it more a distracting element than a contributor. But as usual, I will probably be heavily out-voted on that. :slight_smile:

A beautiful image, Ed. I do like the subdued palette and the soft feel of the image. I agree with Harley about the sun (or is it the moon?). Never pass up a good fog.

Ed the subtle colors look great. I especially like the sweep of sand and wave action in the foreground. As a major contributor to creating the scene, I think the sun helps tell the story and adds to the sense of a sweeping view.

This looks very nice as presented, Ed. Great misty light, and subtle color. I agree that the sun helps tell the story of a moody morning.
-P

This is beautiful in its serenity and simplicity! Early mornings alone on the beach are wonderfully nourishing to the soul. This image portrays that feeling to me very well!

Simple yet captivating image, Ed. Thje soft color palette is wonderful. Great SS choice.

Thanks for taking a moment to leave your thoughts and suggestions @Harley_Goldman, @Dennis_Plank, @Mark_Seaver, @Preston_Birdwell and @Chris_Chamberlain.
@Harley_Goldman: that’s cool; if everyone liked the same thing it would be boring.
@Dennis_Plank: it was the sun.

Very nice. There is a sense of something and nothing, movement and stillness. Matter and space seem to give a feeling of the eternal. It pays to push oneself beyond our comfort zone.

Thanks @Michael_Lowe and @Harvey_Spears. Glad you guys enjoyed the image.

I usually don’t care for long exposures with movement because it distorts reality and I don’t get to see what the scene really looked like. On the other hand, from an artistic viewpoint, this a very appealing image! I like the pastel tones, the softness of the scene and the way the streaked water foam mimics the streaked sky. Nicely done, Ed!