Magical Sunrise

This was without a doubt one of the most magical sunrises I have had the good fortune to witness. I am sure all of us can relate to getting up way to early to catch that glorious sunrise and looking at the sky as we leave and thinking why am I bothering to do this with these overcast conditions. As sometimes is the case these lousy weather conditions afford us a glimpse of a special moment in time. When I got down to the beach the ocean was covered in fog and the whole scene before me was bathed in this lovely surreal glow. This particular image is probably one of my top ten favorites. Anyway thanks for stopping by and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, 17-35 @ 32 mm, f 18 @ 1.6 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

The combination of the subtle colors works well here. Good job on getting the receding water. I like how the clouds seem to lead into the rising sun. Very nice composition; can see why its a favorite of yours.

I really like this image Ed. I can see why it is one of your favorites. The soft colors are very pleasing. Nice work.

I loved this image the first time I saw it, Ed. Very dreamy and evocative of timelessness. Sand Beach, I assume? This is just personal preference, but I think the image could be moved from a 10 to 10 and 1/2 by removing the dark wave. Super nitpicky I know. Here is my amatuer attempt at removing it.

Love the colors and composition. Great Job!

Many thanks to @Allen_Brooks, @Nick_DiBartolomeo, @Michael_Lowe and @Teri for taking a moment and leaving C&C.
@Michael_Lowe: The repost looks good. My mistake on the location. This is Cape Henlopen SP, DE. I did not even notice that I omitted the location until you asked.

A very pretty beach scene, Ed! We had a lot of days with light like this during this summer here at Valdez, Alaska because of the massive wild fires all over the state. Consequently it doesn’t evoke the same pleasant memories that you get when you view those conditions but it is visually pleasing.

Beautiful, Ed. Love the color palette and the understated scene. I like this a lot.

Ed, the subtle colors and the gentle wave action make this a beauty. It’s easy to see why you like this so much. I can hear the swash along with gulls calling in the distance. Yes, going out when the weather is not promising can be very rewarding.

Really sweet, Ed. Love the muted sunrise . I can definitely see why this is one of your favorites. Beautiful.

Ed: I can see why you like this one so much. Superb comp and a wonderful color palette and just the hint of the sun peeking through is the icing on the cake. >=))>

Sometimes it is just worth loosing a little sleep, Ed, and this looks like one of those times. I’m enjoying the color palette too.

Ed,

Love the soft colors and tones. Beautiful - there’s a great tranquility to this image.

I’m not bothered by the thin, dark wave line. I think the touch of contrast helps ground the image.

Great entry Ed!

Lon

Thanks @Gary_Minish, @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver, @Gary_Phillips, @Bill_Fach, @Shirley_Freeman and @Lon_Overacker for stopping by. I am glad everyone enjoyed the image as much as I do.

1 Like