Mystical Sunrise

This was one of the most surreal sunrises that I have had the good fortune to witness. I almost missed this gorgeous light show. I had set the alarm in the camper and upon waking up I could hear the rain hitting the roof so I looked out the door and was greeted with a grey socked in sky. I almost went back to bed, but I thought since I was already up I should give it a go and maybe I would get lucky. Good fortune was on my side this time as I was greeted with this light show. This is five vertical images stitched together in PS to create this pano.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D700, Nikon 80-200 @ 200 mm, f 11 @ 1 sec, ISO 200, tripod & cable release

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I’m glad you got up to shoot that morning. This was definitely worth it! I like how the dark cloud mirrors the dark ridge at the bottom of the frame. Nicely done!

Ed, I love these kinds of layered mountain shots and this is no exception. The light is fantastic and great work on the stitch. The pano format suits this image well and I love the falling rain on the left. Well done.:vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

Ed,

What a unique and special moment. Of course the mimicking of the cloud and ridgeline jump out at you; offset just enough to upset the symmetry - but that works in the images favor I believe.

I also am loving the receding layers and of course the sunrise colors. Great choice on the crop - no nits or other suggestions. what a sight!

Lon

Ed, it’s nice when you are given a gift for perseverance and you make the most of it! I am really enjoying the silhouette, layers and of course the beautiful color. No suggestions.
Well done and thanks for sharing this one!

Many thanks for your thoughts everyone @Brian_Schrayer, @Michael_Lowe, @Lon_Overacker and @Alan_Kreyger. I am glad everyone enjoyed the image as it was one of those special mornings that I will always cherish.

The panoramic presentation works nicely here.