Soothing Sunset

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The pastel shades and the peace the waves bring

This is an artistic vision of mine but am looking to see what other folks think

Creative direction

Does this convey a sense of peace ? I did not intend this to be a snap shot of the shore - a friend pointed out that this looks “too edited”

Specific Feedback

Any point of view is worth listening to

Technical Details

1/3 sec, f 16 iso 125 - with slight panning

Description

Photographed along the Floridian coast - multiple shots - looking for the magical one with the right shutter speed to creat a blend of artistry and reality

1 Like

Karl,

So correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying this image we are looking at was more than one exposure blended together? From your self-critique provided it seems to say that, but it also says slight panning. So I can understand the panning produced the blurred clouds, but how did you keep the foreground rock from blurring during the pan? I don’t think it looks too edited, as it appears natural aside from the artistic use of the shutter to capture the wave motion, and the panning to blur the clouds - all artistic decisions. To answer your question, however, yes it does impart a peaceful feeling to me.

Hi Karl,
what a beautiful beach scene. I love the calm and peaceful mood.

In my opinion, your editing looks good. But maybe your friend confuses your editing with the surreal look that is created by the panning of the camera. I like the painterly look.

2 Likes

Karl,

Oh my, this is stunning, gorgeous! ICM’s and motion images of waves are pretty popular these days, but this is SO much more than that. The included rock up front, the water over that rock, to foam wave line and of course the curl and motion in the wave. And I haven’t even mentioned the colors yet! I repeat myself - just gorgeous.

I got nothing. Nothing except for pure enjoyment. Jealous!

Peace? Tranquility? Yes, indeed.

Can I take a guess and say your friend is not a photographer? I agree with others and I think there’s some confusion between “edited” and “artistry”. I would say your “editing” is spot on.

Love this one!

1 Like

Yes you are correct @Youssef_Ismail - composite of images taken same evening

Thank you @Lon_Overacker

U r right - she is not a photographer per se - but has a good eye for the real life photos - most of these cell phoners think that every photograph must represent reality!

1 Like

Dazzling creation, Karl. I did not imagine that photography could be used to provide the freedom for such a blend of impressionism and realism. Figured we had to leave that to the painters. What is impressive is that you envisioned this sort of outcome and then took the steps to create it. For me, this widens my horizon of expressive photography.
To me, the pastel colors combined with the dynamism of the moving water make this seem to be more wonderous than peaceful.
One nit-let … the signature is in a visually very important part of the photograph, and for me, detracts a little. Maybe tuck it into the LLC?

Thanks Dick

Sorry about the signature- I don’t even know why I do it for NPN images