Receeding Shore Waves

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The pattern of the receding waves with the backdrop of a decent clouds at sunset
mid-zone needs smoothening out ?

Creative direction

My main interest is in the foreground rock with the receding water, which somehow give me a cool soothing effect

Specific Feedback

please provide any of your viewpoints - I am open

Technical Details

Shutter speed 1/3 sec - works for this image I think - a function of how close one is to the water and the speed of the water itself - and of course, one’s personal tastes

Description

photographed along the East Florida coast which has a number of rock formations - the pilons are an added source of interest. The Q was how to put this all together

Hi Karl,
what a calm and peaceful mood. The colors are nice and subtle. It must have been a great experience to enjoy that sunset.

The foreground rock looks quite interesting. But when I viewed your image before I read your description I wasn’t really sure what the main subject should be. Because these rusty columns are very dominant in the water. They somehow compete with the rock.
Maybe you could try to lift the shadows of the columns slightly and add some contrast to the rock?

May I ask what focal length you used?
To emphasize the rock I would use a wide angle lens and move the camera closer to the rock. I would then tilt the camera down slightly.
The effect should be that the rock and the receding water are shown quite prominently in the image. In contrast, the columns in the background should be displayed smaller.

It’s definitly an interesting beach you photographed here. I could spend hours shooting the moving water there.

I really like the way you’ve arranged and spaced the old pilings. Shows how thought out this photo is. The shutter speed is effective, too, in that there some detail in the water and that adds a lot of interest. Natural color and great light with just a touch of reflection on the sand behind the rock. You even got some clouds! My only wish is that the wave was more evenly distributed across the immediate foreground. A tough ask of the ocean to cooperate in such a way, but maybe blended exposures could help with this. What I mean is the crisp arc of bubbles in the LRC - they really pull the eye more than they should, but I like the bit of water just above. Still, if you have a few other shots with blurry bubbles that could be blended, it might make this even better. What an amazing beach.

So about the rock. I haven’t talked about it because it didn’t feel as important to me as you say it was. Not to say it shouldn’t be there, it’s a great supporting element to what I see as the main subject - the pilings and the overall effect of tides and salt. The ocean consumes everything in the end. But what a way to go. With this kind of scene it might not be so bad.

I agree with Jens about lower and closer to get more emphasis on the rock itself. Either that or pick a different one without the pilings. They have so much more visual weight. Plus they have that regular look of manmade things that always draws our attention. I hope that isn’t too negative. I think this photo works, just not in the way you expected.

Karl,

A wonderful and beautiful seascape. Love the colors and the composition and arrangement of elements is quite excellent.

I would say you put this together beautifully! And I agree with Kris and note that it’s clear there was great thought of not only of the arrangement of the elements, but also the timing of the water.
Well done!

I would say as also Kris eludes, that the old pilings are quite more than just “added interest”; they actually come across as the primary subject and the rock and waves the complimentary supporting elements. And I haven’t even mentioned the beautiful sky - which also adds another beautiful and striking element.

The only minor nit/observation/wish would be the two waves turning over on both the left and right edges at the horizon. I’m wishing those breaking waves weren’t on the edge. And also as Kris suggested, perhaps there are other frames where you could blend in a different ocean line on the horizon. Very, very minor and just one of those little things to take the image to the next level.

I do think the foreground of the rocks and receeding water/foam is captured most beautifully.

This is quite wonderful as presented.

LOn

This is an enigmatic image. Makes you think. Particularly that one bent post, the non conformist.

Thank you @Jens_Ober , @Kris_Smith , @Lon_Overacker , @Igor_Doncov - all very useful insights

The image itself clearly has 3 components - the rock with waves around, the pilons which are unique and the gorgeous sunset.
Whilst I do have 2000 images of waves around rocks, i tried not to composite them - but i probably will in some other post
Btw Jen - 1/3 sec, 14mm lens

CHeers!

Karl,

The arrangement of elements in this photograph has been very well done. Every element has its place and plays its part in making a cohesive photograph. The exposure is excellent, and the shutter speed you chose works perfectly for the water action. I do not understand what you mean by the middle ground needs smoothing. My critique, however, is that if your main interest was the foreground rock, then your composition takes attention away from it. The pilings grab more interest in the photo than the rock in my opinion. That is not necessarily bad, its just the rock is not appearing to me to be the main subject. I hope that helps.

1 Like