Basking in Sunset Light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this in January at Magnolia Gardens in Charleston SC just as the sun was going down and creating a lovely gold light on the pond. I tried getting the “right” colors from the raw file and then decided to go with what felt good and looked good to me. I wanted a dreamy effect instead of super sharp or bright colors.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

I stacked a bright and a dark copy in PS, adjusted the Hue/Sat, added a dreamy look from Luminar at 60%, then denoise in Topaz AI.

That’s great Roberta. The pattern made by the tree and reflection are fascinating. It looks like something a geometry teacher could have great fun torturing students with. I love the touch of gold too; glad you went with your gut.

Beautiful. The tree has a special grace and I like your processing. Like @John_Williams I like the gold as well.
I often feel that portrait oriented images are a bit tall; in this case I might be tempted to crop to a 3x4 ratio . Just an idea.

I love the gold/green colors. And the dreamy softness drew me in, especially in contrast to the sharpness of the trunk. Perhaps soften the transition between them a hair? And maybe clone out the buoy way back in the upper right water? (I only noticed it when I clicked on it to zoom in).

I love this original unusual image specially for me because we don’t have this kind of trees in Italy. I have appretiated very much the Han Shutten’s version of the composition.

Han’s version of the image is quite good.

Roberta,

This is special. We’ve seen various versions of the cypress posted over the years - and no doubt the cypress in general have been wonderful subjects. I say special because this intimate portrait is a bit unique. Kudos for isolating this intimate scene. I love what you’ve done with the processing and colors.

As much aversion I have to the tall digital vertical, and as much as I like Han’s crop, I actually think I prefer your original post - just more to enjoy.

Great vision and execution with this image.

Lon

@Lon_Overacker @John_Williams @Giuseppe_Guadagno @Igor_Doncov @Cathy_Proenza @Han_Schutten
Thank you all so much for your wonderful feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts, opinions and suggestions.

@Han_Schutten , I like your crop and did try it - and I like it. I really feel that the uncropped version with the moss reflections on the bottom add something, but the more I look at the crop, the better I like it. Now I have to decide which way to go. Thanks!

@Cathy_Proenza - this was in a pond at Magnolia Plantation, and there are no buoys, and I cannot find one in the photo. Are you referring to the dark “chestnut”-like thing hanging from the tree? I will clone that out if it is distracting. And I can soften the tree a bit too. Thanks!

To all - I never knew that some photographers have an “aversion” to portrait or tall photos. So I learned a lot from just posting this photo, and I thank you all!

@robertakayne Well, I don’t have anything against portrait oriented landscape images. But often the 3:2 ratio doesn’t feel good. 4:3 or 7:6 is more comfortable, at least for me.