Morning light on a Cypress grove

Here’s another from Lake Martin. It has been a good bird photography destination for me over the years. Also I have taken loads of landscape frames from this part of the reservoir during different seasons. This one was in 2014 around 7am in overcast conditions in a section close to the rookery. There were some defocused leave along the edges I attempted to fix which you’ll probably see. During the early overcast light the balance may be a little on the cool side, so I attempted to compensate. For this I’d like to get input on overall composition. I didn’t think it was too centered or static, but I would invite all input, including color balance.

Olympus E-5 ZD 50-200 @90, on tripod, ISO 100 1/2sec @f/9 -2/3EV full frame.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I always feel a little self conscious offering critique, based on my own lack of experience, so take this for what it’s worth…

It feels a bit flat to me - like the four trees at the front form a wall preventing me from seeing the rest of the scene.

Looking at the image, I am really curious as to what is to the right of the camera position. I’d like to have seen this from that perspective, with what is currently the right-most tree at the front and the others trailing off like bowling pins leading into the rest of the scene.

That’s just me, and I’m not sure I have any idea what I’m talking about.

I’m wondering if this would look better in b&w. The composition is solid but the color scheme is limited. So with a limited amount of color, why use color at all? I should probably download and try it before opening my big mouth but I would go in that direction and then play with contrast and tonal expansion.

Bill, I like how you captured the nice soft light here, and I think the WB is good for this image. I also like your placement of the clump of grass in the comp, it serves as a nice lead-in. The composition does feel a little centered for my taste, I would consider a crop from the right to eliminate the trunk of the tree on the far right, which would place the 3 prominent trees more off-center.

I feel this is close but not quite there. If the same scene had some fog/mist for example this same photo could really work. The subject matter is interesting, just on it’s own not compelling enough.
Absent that extra element I would look to see how it looks in B&W or revisit in more moody conditions.

Thanks for the input, guys. @Dan_McCarthy, I strongly encourage you to make suggestions even if you don’t feel confident. It doesn’t take technical skill or experience to offer opinions, and besides, I can see your point about moving off to the right, which might have better balance. I have a couple of other groups of trees where I did just that. @Igor_Doncov & @Matt_Reynolds, I actually did a quick try with a B&W version. Just didn’t seem to have any “snap” even after boosting the levels. You are both welcome to download and give it a try, would help me to learn how you did it. Guess I just don’t have the Photoshop skills. @Ed_McGuirk, Thanks for the input. I have this same image cropped as you describe, so I will take another look.

The comp and WB work well Bill. Have you tried increasing the contrast and/or saturation?

Hi Bill,
These trees make a great subject and I think the soft light shows the textures in the trunks nicely. Two thoughts to consider:

1. On the composition I think I agree with Ed on cropping the right side. I would probably take some off the bottom as well to just below the tuft of grasses as I don’t think it is necessary. This will place more focus on the largest trunks.
  2. I would work to bring out a bit more contrast. Perhaps light paint/dodge those warm highlights on the trees do create more depth.
    Hope this helps, Dave

The b&w with the Silver Efex Pro high grain preset and further adjustments in PS. I cropped a bit to put emphasis on the trees. I liked the open space on the right for the comp and kept it.

Actually this may be a better crop, although I oversharpened it.

To @Eva_McDermott, I tend to agree with you about the comp, and that the white balance looks pretty accurate considering the weather and time of day. I can likely boost the contrast a bit without going overboard. @Dave_Dillemuth, as to framing, I tend to prefer the portion on the right, as it adds some perspective and a sense of depth to the scene. As I mentioned to @Ed_McGuirk, I looked at that option but it seemed too static. Thank you @Igor_Doncov for the B&W versions, like both of them. My attempt with Photoshop B&W conversion just seemed flat. Maybe I should get that Silver Efex software. Again, I appreciate the input.

Bill,

Lots of good suggestions and discussions here. I really like the scene, but would agree it’s a bit on the flat side. I like the cooler wb in the trunks as presented.

I happen to like the right side and how the tree on the far right bg fills the space and I think supports and enhances the comp. It is after all about the grove of trees.

I tried b&w as well, but couldn’t improve on Igor’s efforts. With color, I’m with Eve and think a little boost in color/sat/contrast could help. So I gave it a try. For the comp I took a little off the bottom and more off the top to eliminate the strong, dark branches up top. I’m still partial to a 4:5 ratio anyway… :wink:

I added a low opacity Orton layer as well as a TK mids and lights Levels layer to play with contrast and luminosity. Perhaps too much, especially if you go side by side with the original.

Of course this might not be your vision of the scene.

Lon

1 Like

Thank you, Lon. I’ll vote for the boost in sat that you and Eva suggested, and your post nicely illustrates that. I’ve seen and noted all the suggestions. So now I’ll just have to wait for April to roll around again, always a pleasure to be among the lush spring greens in Acadia.

Really love the colour versions, maybe somewhere in between the original and Lon’s. I’m not feeling the bnw as I quite like the warm accents of side light on those trunks.