Balearic night sky

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Just asking for your initial reaction and your overall feedback.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I’m not much of an astro photographer. Anyway, on Mallorca there wasn’t much to photograph, so I took my chances.
The image is meant to be simplistic and quiet. I like those three plants pointing to the Milky Way as well as the still and motionless line of the Mediterranean Sea.

Technical Details

Bildschirmfoto 2023-08-23 um 16.31.17

Initial reaction – wonderful, with excellent composition and processing!!! A gorgeous night somewhere!

And after reading the text – I think you just earned your astro badge! There are two very difficult aspects of shooting the MW – capturing it with lovely detail and finding a suitable FG, and you have done both!! (Then good processing is a third challenge, but at least it’s one where we stand a fighting chance.) The larger image shows wonderful stars that hold up well in the corners, and the histogram is excellent! And you have well-controlled vignetting, which is also a challenge.

1 Like

Beautiful. I like the composition an I especially like the balance between FG and sky. Often the FG is way to bright for my liking. This kind of images is inherently unnatural, our eyes aren’t capable of seeing anything comparable, but you produced a very well balanced image. Good colours as well.
A nice small aspect: the tallest bushes just don’t touch the horizon.
Great. I would be very glad if I created something like this.